• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Are there any HK50 Index traders?

Discussion in 'Trading Strategies/Systems' started by tradezy, Jul 11, 2018.

1. tradezy

tradezy

I have been Sim trading it for the last few months using Wychoff Volume methodology. I'm up to 1000 trades & it looks promising.

Looking, watching for patterns. My observations:

- It mostly makes it move 30mins after open
    - It mostly stays with this move for the rest of the day session
    - It mainly has it's big moves once a very high vol area is retested with very low vol
    - Take small scalps, however can stick with the trend until another very high vol bar

Any thoughts, comments about my observations?

2. tradezy

tradezy

1. Is anyone trading HK Index (by any trading method)?
    2. Have you found any patterns that happen regularly?
    3. Have you experienced anything to be cautious of?

3. CanOz

CanOz Home runs feel good, but base hits pay bills!

Open range breakout. Use the first 15 minute high and low as the range and the risk. If the market has had three narrowing ranges prior the pattern is more successful and pays better. Still works today.

4. tradezy

tradezy

Thank you for your reply Canoz.

Would you mind elaborating on what timeframe the "three narrowing ranges" are?

I agree with the Open Range Breakout. Mine is based on a Very High Vol Bar which arrives usually in the first 15mins.

The baffling question is when will the market Trend. At this stage I'm finding scaling out my best bet.

5. CanOz

If narrow range is a daily range less than the x period average range then 3 narrow range days is the first condition. The second condition can be that the opening 15 minute range (pre cash open) is not greater than the x period average of opening ranges. What this does is setup balance inside of balance and gives you lower risk and higher reward for a breakout and trend day. With the hang seng you want to trail a stop after the regular afternoon session closed too, thereby catching any European continuation. The hang seng is one of the few markets left where ORB still works well.

6. tradezy

tradezy

Thanks CanOz,

Great observation! I've been using 1,5,15 min charts. I like what you say about the larger time frame - it makes sense.
    I'm finding enough movement to scalp in a non trending/ sideways/ "Z" day, but it would certainly be nice to have some kind of bias as to when it is likely to trend & capture these bigger moves. I'll be doing some study of the Daily Chart.

Thank you for your feedback.

Just curious, What other markets have you found ORB works well?

7. CanOz

Maybe the HHI, but I've not tested it. I'm going to code it up in Sierra chart and test it soon....maybe a month away.

8. tradezy

tradezy

Thanks CanOz,

Never heard of HHI. Is this the Herfindahl-Hirschman Index? Something else?

I haven't been active in this forum for years, been off on a long trading journey! HK feel like my best fit.

It's very reassuring & exciting to return & see familiar names like yours still trading.

9. CanOz

The HHI is the China h shares index. It trades on the hkex and is very correlated to the HSI, but of less value (10000) so less volatile. I want to do some spread strategies but I'll wait until I get my directional stuff done.

10. tradezy

tradezy

Thanks for sharing CanOz. Very much appreciated. :xyxthumbs Hope the HHI turns out well for you.

11. CanOz

Not a bad day in testing....A massive 225 pt winner for the 2nd trade of the day.HSI225ptstrades.PNGHSI225pts.PNG

12. tradezy

tradezy

Yes, it really swung about today. You really captured the directional moves.

I'm just a very, very small fish. My Risk is a measly $50 Per trade!

Fantastic trading results!!:)