Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Annoyingly misleading ads

Reactions
I see TPG's following ad a lot:

tpg.jpg

It annoys me everytime because I think it is misleading. Not misleading in an 'unfair' way, but misleading in a 'grab your attention' kinda way.

$29.99 per month for unlimited ADSL2+ is a bloody good deal, BUT, this is only when you package it with line rental of $30 per month, which means the minimum you gotta pay to get the ADSL2+ is $59.99.

I mean, they might as well say "ADSL2+ for $0.99 a month!.......when bundled with line rental of $59 per month", no?

Anyone else find these types of ads/pricing structures annoying/misleading?

Reactions
I see TPG's following ad a lot:

View attachment 43885

It annoys me everytime because I think it is misleading. Not misleading in an 'unfair' way, but misleading in a 'grab your attention' kinda way.

$29.99 per month for unlimited ADSL2+ is a bloody good deal, BUT, this is only when you package it with line rental of $30 per month, which means the minimum you gotta pay to get the ADSL2+ is $59.99.

I mean, they might as well say "ADSL2+ for $0.99 a month!.......when bundled with line rental of $59 per month", no?

Anyone else find these types of ads/pricing structures annoying/misleading?
I don't believe that under ACL this ad fits the misleading definition as all the charging details about the offer are present but I do agree with you that these types of ads are damn annoying.

I do believe that all details in offers should be given equal prominence.
Let's start by having all conditions in the same size font and disband this behaviour of hiding conditions in fine print or a smaller font.

Reactions
Carbon tax ads would have to be one of the biggest rip off ever - and we're paying for them. The illusions in the Cate and Caton were quite remarkable.

Yes, any misleading ad is very annoying.

Julia

In Memoriam
Reactions
I no longer get annoyed by these advts. Essentially expect that they will be trying to colour the reality of what is offered. Usually just ignore all advertising unless I'm specifically looking for something.

Reactions
I no longer get annoyed by these advts. Essentially expect that they will be trying to colour the reality of what is offered. Usually just ignore all advertising unless I'm specifically looking for something.
This. Actually I cannot think of one thing I have bought as a result of advertising.

Reactions
Another form of advertising I find really annoying is this:

70% off storewide!*
*On selected items only.

So you think at first, "wow, 70% off everything in the store!" only to realise that it could relate to only one item...