Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Anger over photos of Indonesian cattle cruelty

Reactions

Julia

In Memoriam
Reactions
I will not be looking at the link. Could I please ask anyone who does to not put up any resulting photographs of cruelty. With thanks.

Reactions
I will not be looking at the link. Could I please ask anyone who does to not put up any resulting photographs of cruelty. With thanks.
I find it a bit traumatising too Julia but not looking at it doesnt make it go away, they are our closest neighbour and we should be taking a stronger role in preventing this.

Reactions
added - it's not as though the link or image is hiidden on some obscure web site, the is the ABC, they seem to take an active roll in exposing these issues and let's face it............someone should.

Reactions
Thanks for bringing it up Mr Burns as I agree, but also agree with Julia, please dont put up any photos. I cant even watch it on the news - flick of the switch for me.

This needs to be stopped :(

Reactions
$578.4 million in AU aid to Indonesia in 2102-13

http://www.ausaid.gov.au/countries/eastasia/indonesia/Pages/home.aspx

I know it's complex but surely we could make some moves to fix this issue condidering what we give them.

It's not hard NOT to inflict cruelty, it wont cost them anything, so just bloody well do it and the Australians administering the aid to Indonesia should bring the issue into the mix and insist on changes NOW, not have endless committees go over the obvious and delay any action.

Julia

In Memoriam
Reactions
I find it a bit traumatising too Julia but not looking at it doesnt make it go away, they are our closest neighbour and we should be taking a stronger role in preventing this.
I understand that. I'm in complete sympathy with what you're saying. I just cannot cope with seeing cruelty to animals. My having horrific images imprinted on my brain will not aid the poor beasts being so abused. I fully support the ABC focusing on it. In the meantime, I can't stop thinking about seeing a dead sheep lying in the ashes in Tassie last night.

Julia

In Memoriam
Reactions
Sorry to be off topic, but does anyone have any idea why some posts are coming up with the odd word underlined as above. I didn't click on the underliner.

Reactions
Agree Mr Burns and Julia
I know the RSPCA are doing all they can on this

http://www.rspca.org.au/

Off topic -- One of my daughters friends has just gone over there to work for 6 mths, not to do with animals, looking forward to hearing her feedback.

I dont see any underlining, Julia.

Reactions
Sorry to be off topic, but does anyone have any idea why some posts are coming up with the odd word underlined as above. I didn't click on the underliner.
I cant see any underlining.
I also find animal cruelty deeply disturbing, also cruelty to children and others around the world.
Yes, and the animals who die in bushfires.

I think our diplomats are having too many polite cups of tea and not doing enough work.

Reactions

Julia

In Memoriam
Reactions
I dont see any underlining, Julia.
I cant see any underlining.
Thanks to both of you. I think it was something I saw intermittently at this end which hopefully has been fixed by Malware scan/deletion.

I think our diplomats are having too many polite cups of tea and not doing enough work.
It does seem that way, but I suppose they have multiple interests to consider. Remember the massive backlash from cattle producers when the ban happened last year?
I'd like to see Australia abolish the entire live trade and only export what has been processed in our own abattoirs.

Reactions
I'd like to see Australia abolish the entire live trade and only export what has been processed in our own abattoirs.
Agreed BUT our industry wouldn't want that, so are we partly to blame for the animals maltreatment ?, yes we are.

Course that doesnt stop it happening to animals from elsewhere , better we apply pressure from our end financially, but we seem unable or unwilling to, but good to see the ABC running with these stories, you would expect NineMSN to run sensationalist stuff like this but they dont, perhaps they have mates in the industry.

Reactions
Agreed BUT our industry wouldn't want that, so are we partly to blame for the animals maltreatment ?, yes we are.

Course that doesnt stop it happening to animals from elsewhere , better we apply pressure from our end financially, but we seem unable or unwilling to, but good to see the ABC running with these stories, you would expect NineMSN to run sensationalist stuff like this but they dont, perhaps they have mates in the industry.
It is not that clear cut. The cattle that Australia send over to Indonesia are not killed immediately. They are kept in feedlots for several months to fill out before being killed. Australian meatworks would not kill these animals at the size they are sent over.

The other issue is that Indonesia is a country with a population of around 242,000,000 people and is made up of 17,500 islands. The "standards" and "monitoring" of such a country in relation to "our" own practices is extremely difficult.

One of the reasons that the cattle industry was so annoyed after the previous "4 Corners" report was the fact that the footage of cattle being killed were clearly not Australian export cattle, nor were they in registered Indonesian meatworks. The ABC report gave the indication that that the footage was an example of what was happening to Australian export cattle once they get off the boat. They failed to mention that it was in a non-sanctioned meatworks, with indonesian cattle. Just because it is the ABC, it doesn't mean they don't sensationalise it.

I don't like animal cruelty and the Australian authorities must continue to work harder to lift the overall standard relating to Indonesia's animal cruelty record, however suggesting that we just ban live export or kill the cattle here in Australia, will not solve the problem and is not feasible anyway. The authorities are better off trying to change the system from within rather than embarrassing and infuriating the Indonesians and destroying another Australian industry.

Duckman

pixel

DIY Trader
Reactions
[...]
I don't like animal cruelty and the Australian authorities must continue to work harder to lift the overall standard relating to Indonesia's animal cruelty record, however suggesting that we just ban live export or kill the cattle here in Australia, will not solve the problem and is not feasible anyway. The authorities are better off trying to change the system from within rather than embarrassing and infuriating the Indonesians and destroying another Australian industry.

Duckman
Thanks, Duckman, for your considered and rational contribution.
Getting too emotional and wound-up about things that are outside our control can and often does lead to irrational reactions that offend and harm many without achieving any change. The ill-fated export ban was a prime example.
In addition to the cultural differences, we also have to remember that only few households in remote regions of Indonesia have refrigerators; shipping meat from Australian abattoirs into those regions would deprive them of "fresh" meat, which can only be delivered from their local village butcher.

Julia

In Memoriam
Reactions
In addition to the cultural differences, we also have to remember that only few households in remote regions of Indonesia have refrigerators; shipping meat from Australian abattoirs into those regions would deprive them of "fresh" meat, which can only be delivered from their local village butcher.
That does not have anything to do with cruelty in killing the animals. Two entirely separate issues.

PS Hi Duckman: always good to have you grace our meeting place on occasions.:)

Reactions
It is not that clear cut. The cattle that Australia send over to Indonesia are not killed immediately. They are kept in feedlots for several months to fill out before being killed. Australian meatworks would not kill these animals at the size they are sent over.

The other issue is that Indonesia is a country with a population of around 242,000,000 people and is made up of 17,500 islands. The "standards" and "monitoring" of such a country in relation to "our" own practices is extremely difficult.

One of the reasons that the cattle industry was so annoyed after the previous "4 Corners" report was the fact that the footage of cattle being killed were clearly not Australian export cattle, nor were they in registered Indonesian meatworks. The ABC report gave the indication that that the footage was an example of what was happening to Australian export cattle once they get off the boat. They failed to mention that it was in a non-sanctioned meatworks, with indonesian cattle. Just because it is the ABC, it doesn't mean they don't sensationalise it.

Duckman
Great enlightening post, Duckman.

Reactions
Great enlightening post, Duckman.
Pleased to think I could assist guys.

Hi to you to Julia. I pop in and out of ASF, but life with the 4 ducklings is increasingly busy. Hope you and all my friends on here are keeping well.

Duckman

Reactions
Many asian nations are still very primitive in their ways. If we wound the clock back on the Western culture a few thousand years we would have probably behaved the same way towards animals.