• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Amazon Australia Online Store

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wysiwyg, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg Everyone wants money

It has opened. The Amazon store has more than books for sale in Australia. Looking at some of the furniture it appears over priced, especially when adding the frreight costs. Limited variety of stock as warehouses and sellers still to build I assume.

Example: 2 x faux leather dining chairs ---- $398 + $33.64 delivery. Duh, that is way overpriced. Must be fishing for mug shoppers.

Untitled.png

2. So_Cynical

So_Cynical The Contrarian Averager

Early days - very limited range at the moment.

3. Logique

Logique Investor

Outside the metropolitan, or 'major cities', you have to spend min $49 to get free delivery :(

4. Logique

Logique Investor

$398 + delivery? That's ridiculous

5. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

Must admit it does look exxy for Pleather.

6. McLovin

McLovin

That's not Amazon selling, it's Black Mango (whoever they are) selling through Amazon Marketplace.

NB: "Ships from and sold by Black Mango"

7. Wysiwyg

Disappointed by the offerings on Amazon. Marketers hoping to cash in on the Amazon hype. Ebay still a place to shop.

8. Wysiwyg

I was expecting items and prices in line with Amazon America.

9. sptrawler

sptrawler

Why would you think that? We have been getting ripped off for years, why wouldn't Amazon join in?

Zero Sum Game and Macquack like this.
  10. nulla nulla

nulla nulla Positive Expectancy

Touche. I looked at their jeans for middle aged men. Mostly wrangler around the $149.00 mark v's Myer Levi's around the $90.00 mark. Looks a lot like masters trying to compete with Bunnings. Have to wait and see how long it lasts. Initially I was expecting them to flood the market with cheap produce to undermine the existing market and gain market share. Then when the competition falls by the wayside they would up the prices but they seem to have come in at the top end of prices. Early days yet. Will have to wait and see but their initial strategy seems presumptous.

11. CanOz

CanOz Home runs feel good, but base hits pay bills!

I'm all surprised at thier prices....nothing there so far that stands out as a bargain for me and I searched allows of categories....just another US firm keen to rape the Aussie...

12. Wysiwyg

I will certainly not be the guinea pig buying unknown brands to find what faults they have and do a product review. Amazon in many ways is simply another EBay type store.

13. Wysiwyg

Amazon made a major business error if people think like me. First impressions spend a longer time in the memory and a great first impression Amazon did not give. Now they will have to woo customers over, that is if anyone bothers to look in their store after an initial unimpressive opening. Marketing error in my opinion.

14. bellenuit

bellenuit

I agree to a certain extent that it was a botched start. Some paper over the weekend showed the most searched topics on Google over the week and "Amazon" was top topic for the few days up to its Australian launch and off the charts on the day it launched. However within a day or two after it launched it had fallen back to the same level as other hot topics (Dastyari, Ashes etc.).

But if Amazon prices do become competitive and show up as such on Google searches, people will gradually migrate there (initially via Google results, but eventually directly)