• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Airbnb

Discussion in 'Business, Investment and Economics' started by Wysiwyg, Jun 29, 2016.

sentifi.com

Aussie Stock Forum Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

Tags:
  1. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg Everyone wants money

Noticed on the ASF Home page news pane (thank you Joe) that AIR BnB is going to be valued at US30 billion. I must be out of touch with both the preference and travelling savvy of people these days. Firstly I find it a bit strange living in, well, a strangers home. Secondly I did a 10 minute internet search for accommodation through AIR BnB and first place to rent was an apartment in Budapest for AUD134 / night plus a cleaning fee of AUD42 plus a service fee of AUD21 for a total of AUD197 / night. Another search for accommodation in Budapest turned up several places from hotels to hostels on BedandBreakfast.com and Wotif. The no look inner city 1 night stay in a hotel for under AUD100 / night.

With the AIR BnB stay, the owner states don't touch his computer and don't play with the A/V unit unles tech savvy. I would also be apprehensive about a bit of hanky panky on the premises but that is just the strange I mentioned earlier. ;)

Alternatively, rock up to a hotel and be care free about what you do or say and leave the next day no questions asked. Obviously the price competition is fierce so why not take advantage of it. :confused:

So I might be out of touch with the travellers of today or this AIR BnB thing is massive advertising hype within a perpetually competitive market. Knowing the options really.

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled.jpg

2. CanOz

CanOz Home runs feel good, but base hits pay bills!

We've used airbnb several times here in Australia and have had good experiences so far. Most of the time the places are well setup. Not much different than a hotel or bed and breakfast. We always check airbnb first before bookings hotels as there are times when you'll find a real gem of a house for a song...

3. mjim

mjim

Call me old fashioned but I find all this "We are only ride/ accommodation sharing app" as a slick and deceptive way of getting in to a regulated business without going through the regulations or of avoiding most of them.

If things go wrong who is responsible?

What is next " Running an app to allow unqualified people to start nursing homes?" AIR AH or UBERhosiptals! UBERDENTAL...
    AIRPArking ?( connecting private driveways to parking.. )what happens if your car is damaged by the owner of the house.. as compared to parking in a regulated car park!

Screw the regulations , freedom to do business without restrictions, the wild west

But to point this out one is considered Anti Technology.. LOL

People don;t think twice what the industry who has gone through regulatory checks suffer due to this "Thinly regulated or unregulated Sharing apps !

Disclaimer" I am not from Hotel Industry or Regulated Taxi industry

4. Toyota Lexcen

Toyota Lexcen

I agree mjim,

5. ThingyMajiggy

ThingyMajiggy

Have used airbnb and uber a fair bit and love them both, I think they crap all over the usual systems(taxi and motel) because of the review systems, you can see what others have said, you can see the hosts ratings, and drivers' ratings on Uber so you only get good drivers and good rooms/places/apartments, they're both easier than their counterparts and make more sense. :2twocents

6. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

7. Value Collector

Value Collector Have courage, and be kind.

8. sptrawler

sptrawler

9. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Judging by the fact that Uber, a similar booking service hasn't fared well after going public it might be best to wait and see.

sptrawler likes this.
  10. Toyota Lexcen

Toyota Lexcen

Did use it often for work. I feel the "share" option is decling.

Often get good rates at Ibis or other budget chains. Especially Sun-Thurs.

11. sptrawler

sptrawler

That is what I found in France, when travelling, Ibis was cheaper and the accomodation standard more reliable.

12. satanoperca

satanoperca

I SHOUT : ALL SERVICES ARE NOT THE SAME. ALL PRODUCTS ARE NOT THE SAME.

It depends on your requirements. I elaborate.

If you are travelling for business, you want to be in and out. Get a hotel. No cleaning, no meet and greats, just a bed and your off the next day or two.

If you are travelling for please, AirBnB is a great option, meet a local, engage with them, learn about the area first hand, as well as the feeling of being at home.
    I also like AirBnB as I get to experience other peoples homes and architecture.

Example : Trip the Daintree, QLD 2 weeks
    4 Days AirBnB, loved it, great host, great home with incredible views.
    3 Days AirBnB off the grid in a well accommodated shed on a remote property in rain forest, quiet, secluded, surrounded by wildlife, no commercial operation could offer this environment
    4 Days in a Resort, mainstream, easy and enjoyable, interacting with other guest was pleasant.
    5 Days AirBnb, back off the grid, lived with the host, family of 6, great time, wonderful family dinners, great insight into living in this remote area off the grid, how to communicate with the world, work and employment, schooling and education, this knowledge cannot be found in a hotel.
    2 Days in a mainstream hotel back on the mainland, bit of shopping, easy and convenient.

Example: 10 Days in Shanghai, Business, I pay the costs
    7 Days in and out of the cheapest hotels that were located the closests to my meetings, didn't want anything luxious, just a clean bed and no hastles, check in check out.
    3 Days, AirBnb, small apartment, living with host, still going to meetings, a little more expensive than the hotels, by host showed me some parts of the city that I hadn't discovered in the past, was fun, food was great and need some company after travelling by myself for 7 days.

So is AirBnB worth it, depends on your requirements. It is a service, that it's only infrastructure is IT. If it can remain current and has an easy to use system that benefits both the customer and supplier, it might be worth $30B

qldfrog and sptrawler like this.
  13. qldfrog

qldfrog

We are Airbnb hosts, have been for 3 months and no regret
    Used airbnb as guest also
    I fully agree with @satanoperca
    It is a different experience

14. sptrawler

sptrawler

So ASF member discount vouchers are accepted at your place frog?:D

15. qldfrog

qldfrog