• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum
  1. Guest, entries in the Full CY 2020 Tipping Competition are now open and close at midnight on 31 December. With $1,850 in cash to be won you'd have to be crazy not to enter. Please post your entries in the Tipping Competition for Full CY 2020 thread in the ASX Stock Chat forum. Good luck!

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

AC Neilson survey - I want to change my mind....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Prospector, May 1, 2007.

sentifi.com

Aussie Stock Forum Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

1. Prospector

Prospector Not a scaredy cat anymore

Hello all,
    A few weeks ago I was rung by AC Neilson to determine my voting choice for the next Federal Election. A couple of days later the results of that survey were all aver the front page giving Rudd the nod to become the next PM. I was quite pleased that I wasnt in the minority, I thought it was time for a change (to quote a labor slogan from years ago:p: )

Well, as a small business owner, and with some of their policies coming out, I wanna change my mind! Please please ring me back AC Neilson - anyone else previously thinking maybe Rudd but can see major warning signs?

2. clowboy

clowboy

I think Rudd is likely to win it simply on the "we want a change" vote.

3. Kimosabi

Kimosabi

I think you biggest problem will be that there are many more workers than business owners that vote.

But I think it's time for the workers to see if they can run the country again only to realise they are workers and should leave running the country to those who run businesses.

4. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

After some of the information that’s come out I have changed my mind on Rudd. Owning a business myself these policies make me shudder. Is Rudd just a union puppet? Time for a change to the bad old days of union strangle hold over the workplace wasn’t what I had in mind.

5. sam76

sam76

Unfortunately, Australians tend to vote Governments out, not in.

:2twocents + GST :D

6. Mousie

Mousie

Well business owners, time to apply those leadership skills you have to get the workers to see things like you do, perhaps? Not seeing it (entirely) as a you vs me thing all the time; no wonder you're struggling to get peak performance outta them. Pick the right people and give them the right environment to work is what I say!

7. Julia

Julia In Memoriam

I'm neither a "worker" or a business owner, but shuddered at the picture offered by the weekend Labor conference. It's back to the days of complete Union domination.

There's also the personal factor: i,e, I simply can't take to Kevin Rudd. Not sure exactly why, but it has something to do with a blandness, a sense of a cardboard cut-out type robot persona. Before he became Labor leader, I was always impressed by his articulate arguments, but somehow that very smooth patter is wearing thin with me. No doubt he is highly intelligent, would be capable internationally, but from the point of view of any of us who like the present success of business from which we derive our share profits, I think there's room for considerable concern.

And, Prospector, yes the notion of two years parental leave for both parents is surely just unrealistic and unnecessary.

It looks as if you may not be the only one wanting to change her mind.
    Latest poll had the government catching up somewhat.
    Could it be that the more we see of the new Labor team the less we like them?

8. YELNATS

YELNATS Non illegitimus carborundum

As a business owner, I think Rudd's industrial policies are on the right track. It's about time we had fairness for all, including our staff. regards YN.

9. doctorj

doctorj Hatchet Moderator

I've often wondered why and how unions have so much power over the labour party. Union membership is at record low levels; they represent less than 9% of the Australian population and it continues to decline.

Why does Rudd's side of the house still listen to them? I'm with Prospector on this one. The unions are antiquated and irrelevant and in my experience exist primarily to serve their own hierarchy. I think what we’re seeing is a last stand by unions, an attempt to preserve their existence.

I’ve turned from voting for Rudd to sitting on the fence. I think his IR policy has lost touch with reality and will benefit union fatcats rather than the workers themselves.

10. Gundini

Gundini

All I can say is I watched Australian Story last night, who featured Alexander Downer. While I don't think much of the man, I do think he is becoming very experienced in the Foriegn Affairs portfolio.

The reporter asked him what he thought of Kevin Rudd?

Downer looked him in the eye and said "He is extremely vain, and Dishonest"

This obviously makes him a perfect candidate for the Prime Minister, Lol...

But jokes aside, anybody who has the guts to publically defame another candidate to the planet in prime time must have proof to back up his claims!

This ring alarm bells for mine...

I am still undecided.

I think the Liberal gov is steaming the ship pretty good at this moment.
    ( Bear in mind I am not affected by the IR laws)

I think the Labor gov may be better for the workers, but set us back with regard to Global competitiveness and progress..
    :2twocents

11. Mousie

Mousie

Fairness for staff has little to do with government regulation. There's always room to appreciate your workers despite what Big Bro says. It's your business anyhow, not governments'!

12. Rafa

Rafa

yeah, um-impressed by the conference over the weekend,

but the more i think about it, the more i think about it the more i am sure that rudd was only there cause he had to be there... but given that he is in the labor party he has to give them something to be happy about!

i mean, there is no point being popular with the voters if your not popular with the party!

so whilst he did mange to scrap the no new mines policy, he had to be seen to be giving into unions elsewhere... to keep them onside.

i will still be voting for him at this stage, cause once he is in power, i would imagine we will see a lot more progressive reforming and a stronger move away from the unions.

at this stage he needs the advertising funds from unions...
    but time will tell...

13. macca

macca

I do think the Libs policy on IR has gone too far and this allows the Union Party a space to appeal to the workers but not cruel the country.

If the Libs ensure that the minimum wage is realistic then that may help come election time.

The Libs have got a HUGE surplus to play with, so I guess we will find out what their plans are when they bring down the budget shortly.

The thing that I find irritating is all the TV adds being run by the Unions that are blatant lies.

I thought adds on TV, not in an election campaign, had to be truthful :eek:

14. Prospector

Well, I would like to think we are really good to our employees, for instance we paid an airfare for one of our staff to travel interstate to see her daughter graduate from Uni, and that was put to 'travel' expenses so basically a freebie for her. But I dont need Unions and Regulations breathing down our necks saying we must do this and we must do that, because if we have to comply with that kind of stuff then our 'freebie' above would not happen!

It just really puts me off when I hear Unionists talking about 'the working class' like they are some kind of downtrodden people who are the only ones in this community who pull their weight. Ask any small or large business owner how many hours they put in, and I am betting it is way more than 'the working class' with none of the perks like sick leave (unless you are almost dead!) 4 weeks annual leave, and long service leave - What is LONG SERVICE LEAVE! And I can hear those bells going off loud and clear...

Hey, maybe we need a small business Union!

15. Kimosabi

Kimosabi

I think this sums it up

[​IMG]

16. justjohn

justjohn

Maybe voters will do us a favour by electing Rudd at the next elections,then and only then will we be thankful of how good we have had it over the last decade:swear: :cussing: :banghead:

17. happytown

happytown

hugo chavez for ozzie pm

nationalise all small businesses

amend the workplace relations act and corporations act by inserting criminal sanctions into all sections

replace that wretched flag with the ozzie hammer and sickle - the spear and bullroarer

the glorious time of the commie pinko is almost upon us

and it will be televised

cheers :)

18. greggy

greggy

The problem I have is not with Mr Rudd, but with Ms Gillard, his deputy. Her bullying comments yesterday telling the business community to keep out of the political debate is a bit rich. Ms Gillard seems to think that its OK for unions to keep carrying on about getting rid of the IR laws, but the business community isn't allowed a say on the issue. It reminds me of the Mark Latham approach to politics. I'm a swinging voter, having Labor at the last state election here in Victoria and Liberal federally. A week ago I would have voted for Mr Rudd, but now I'm not too sure. His move on uranium is welcome, but his proposed IR laws need some rejiging. They may even be illegal. Mr Howard's govt looks a bit tired despite its sound economic record and voters are seeking a trustworthy alternative that will push the country forward both socially and economically. I'm now sitting on the fence.

19. Prospector

Greggy that is the problem. It is time for a change, but not at the expense of having Unions 'try' to run the show. Howard should have gone before now, but then that would have meant Costello and while I dont mind him, I think I am in the minority. He really does have to work on that smirk er, smile of his.

20. Rafa

Rafa

What planet you been living on Macca :rolleyes:

haven't you heard of Ribena...?
    what about the pro workchoices add that were paid for the taxpayer!
    what about the stuff that is shown on TV in the 6PM timslot called the 'NEWS'!!!
    Need i keep going on...

but back to the topic..
    I hope rudd doesn't cave into the unions after the election... I have a feeling he won't...

I dare say he might do a howard, who is dragged the liberal party right (further right the most liberals wanted, but are now happy to put up with cause it keeps them in power)... I think once rudd gets in, he'lld drag labour right as well, except hopefully allow them to end up in the centre!