• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

A Time to Censor

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by moXJO, Jul 16, 2020.

1. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

So it seems Google algorithms are sanitising the internet. Joe informed me a couple of posts of mine were deleted, which is fair enough as I often push the boundaries.

I also understand that Joe is the one that wears the consequences of discussing taboo topics. So now is probably the time to accept that threads will need to disappear. Joe can't keep dodging Google forever.

I (and I'm sure others) won't stop giving an opinion on many of the subjects. So better to remove problem threads.

macca, Smurf1976, IFocus and 2 others like this.
  2. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

It's Joe's business so he has to decide what is best.

macca, Smurf1976, cynic and 1 other person like this.
  3. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

Its actually toe the line or wear the consequences.

macca and qldfrog like this.
  4. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Unfortunately yes. This has been gone through in the "The West has lost it's freedom of speech" thread.

macca and qldfrog like this.
  5. Joe Blow

Joe Blow Administrator Staff Member

My reading of the situation is that a very real and likely permanent cultural shift is occurring as a result of cancel culture and BLM.

What is happening is:

1. Companies have realised that BLM, cancel culture and political correctness is not going away and so have taken public stances that put them on the politically correct side of these issues to ensure that their brands are seen as towing the line and do not suffer any reputational damage.
    2. These companies no longer want to be associated with the public discussion of certain issues and do not want their ads to be seen alongside the public discussion of certain issues.
    3. As a result, Google becomes highly sensitive to these issues and starts flagging pages containing controversial content. Google removes ad serving on these pages and tells you to remove offensive content (without actually telling you what the content is - you have to figure it out yourself) in order to not have any policy violations on your account.
    4. Either you remove content regarded as offensive to stay in Google's good graces or allow policy violations to stack up and risk being regarded as a hate site and having ad serving removed completely.

screenshot-www.google.com-2020.07.16-08_43_38.png

I do not think this is going away and as a result discussions about race, gender, sexual orientation and religion will be closed in the near future.

macca, Smurf1976, PZ99 and 1 other person like this.
  6. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Interesting you say that, ads for the NRA (National Rifle Association, that notoriously politically correct organisation) have been popping up on this site.

But that's patriotic so they are ok. Why should a site in this country be infected by that trash ?

7. Joe Blow

These ads are likely showing for you because of related websites you have visited. Google tracks what websites you visit and what Google searches you perform and shows you ads related to those websites/search terms. It does this to try and target the advertising better and improve ROI for advertisers. It's been going on for years but is getting more sophisticated.

8. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Possibly. Just saying that if Google is censoring "inappropriate" content, then the NRA would be a good place to start.

But that's not your problem, so it's no criticism of you.

macca and Smurf1976 like this.
  9. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

Must be your subscription to "Guns & Babes"
    Rumpy.

Garpal Gumnut, IFocus and qldfrog like this.
  10. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

What a terrible time for a smartarse to be alive.

Garpal Gumnut and qldfrog like this.
  11. Joe Blow

The content that Google seems to be most concerned about relate to race, gender, sexual orientation, and religious affiliation.

12. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

There must have been a mixup.

I subscribed to "Fun and Games".

Someone must have made a typo. ;)

IFocus, qldfrog and moXJO like this.
  13. basilio

basilio

Or perhaps its the way these subjects are discussed ?

14. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Does Google have algorithms that determine context, or just the words used ?

15. Joe Blow

My interpretation is that anything that could possibly cause offence (in relation to those specific issues) is now deemed unacceptable. This is a change that has occurred this year.

It is algorithm based, and then humans conduct content reviews when requested.

16. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

Hmm the coloured activist gets censored pointing out how ludicrous its become.
    Yeah, I stepped on the line though.

But ultimately the point was that everyone is to afraid to talk about it or risk backlash.

17. basilio

basilio

"anything that could possibly cause offence"
    If that is the case that's a broad brief indeed. :(

dutchie and cynic like this.
  18. rederob

rederob

Mr Spooner?

SirRumpole likes this.
  19. qldfrog

qldfrog

@Joe Blow , do you know if these google warnings and threats are automatic or the result of actual users complaining?
    Is it a sad but understandable action for you to do.we support you 8n that process however hard it is ethically
    Wonder how long before any climate change links to co2 denial is treated the same
    Worse for both economy & health, any opposition to a coming fake vaccine will be labelled that way.
    Could you please inform us @Joe Blow when these criteria are extended.as they will no doubt..

cynic likes this.
  20. basilio

basilio

Crackers isn't it ? (if that is the case ) In theory I would like to believe Google wouldn't have such a ridiculous overreach on discussion.
    In reality it seems to be happening.
    I will have to check around other sources and see what their experience is.