Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

$4 unemployment insurance: Is it the beginning of the U.S model?

Reactions
What would the difference be between this and income-protection insurance?

Reactions
$4 per week for $1000 per month or $230 per week.

There's a slight problem with those numbers.

Assume an umemployment rate of 5%, or one for every 19 people employed. Those 19 would therefore raise $76 per week for each unemployed.

There would obviously need to be some fairly heavy restrictions.

Reactions

Assume an umemployment rate of 5%, or one for every 19 people employed. Those 19 would therefore raise $76 per week for each unemployed.

A fair proportion of those 5% are long-term unemployed, they can just stay on newstart. This is apparently an extra payment on top of that for those who have contributed.

Reactions

I think the restrictions in the U.S are you have to have been working for x amount of years to get y amount of unemployment benefit.
Initially one would think they would bring it in as a supplement on top of the dole, then slowly remove the dole.
It becomes a user pays system, rather than a welfare system. Not saying it is right or wrong, but pre pay for the cardboard box.
Much like what happened with our pension scheme.

Reactions
You can only imagine the beaucratic nightmare with this - you'd pay $4 but by the time it filtered through there would probably only be $1.50 remaining in your kitty.

LEAVE ME INCOME ALONE AND LET ME DEAL WITH ME!