• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

3-4 hours sleep a day

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by moXJO, Jan 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

So the last 5 years I only sleep 3-4 hours a day. I often worry about the health implications. I've gotten so use to it that the most I can sleep is generally 6 hours if I really force myself.

Anyone else with similar sleep patterns?

qldfrog and PZ99 like this.
  2. qldfrog

qldfrog

I would average probably around 5
    Béen like this for probably at least 15y.no problem to sleep, i just go to bed, read a bit fall asleep after11pm sometimes much after and wake up fresh between 4 and 5
    Only issue i i ha is it take me a few days to recover from a late night or travel /jetlag but could be age creeping in

aus_trader likes this.
  3. againsthegrain

againsthegrain

I have a very similar sleep pattern, If I go to bed early I feel im wasting time and can't sleep so end up doing tasks until 1 or 2 am which seem meaningless in the long term.

After years of doing this I realise I am overall more tired all around during the day, physically and mentally and recently started to realise my face looks more tired/old from this.

After 10-15 years of a routine like this its impossible to force myself to get a 7-8 hr sleep which I know my body needs but the mind is too busy to allow it. Maybye ignorance is bliss, watching tv drinking beer and not worrying about much else, hitting the sack each night for 8hrs

moXJO, qldfrog and aus_trader like this.
  4. sptrawler

sptrawler

My wife has a lot of trouble sleeping, most nights about 3-4 hours, I wake at 3.00am and she is reading.
    Luckily I don't have any problem, 10.00PM to 07.00am like clockwork.:xyxthumbs

qldfrog and aus_trader like this.
  5. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

Never had a problem with sleep as such but, almost certainly due to past work arrangements, I'll wake up real quick and fully alert if the phone rings.

I thus make sure the phone's on silent these days. But should I forget, and someone happens to ring, then it's programmed into me now. Straight up, answer, mind fully engaged. :2twocents

IFocus, qldfrog and aus_trader like this.
  6. aus_trader

aus_trader

I think there is no specific sleeping pattern that I have stuck to in years. So I am kind of erratic in my sleep schedule, a bit like againsthegrain's.

It's probably got something to do with doing past evening/night shifts, having done some late night trading in the past and even now doing some reading on some of my favourite forums such as ASF and doing some stock research. It's probably not healthy so trying to get into a regular sleep cycle going into the future...

Smurf1976, sptrawler and qldfrog like this.
  7. PZ99

PZ99 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

4 hours max for me - anymore than that and I get massive headaches in the morning.

One of the scars of double shifting with two jobs for decades.

8. Logique

Logique Investor

Honestly, seek advice mate. Over the long term, just 3-4 hrs can be risky. It can also be a risk to state of mind, especially if you're missing out on REM sleep.
    Not to mention driving alertness on the road

frugal.rock, moXJO, IFocus and 3 others like this.
  9. qldfrog

qldfrog

@PZ99 , if i were you i would try to go to bed 1vhour earlier with a book..trading if you want, or whatever subject you like, get the body rested, no phone or screen and basically do this as per your body, read till the body says enough, and obviously no alarm clock in the morning
    I think a move from 4 to 5 hours would be beneficial
    Maybe some herbal tea if it helps you,
    Lastly:)
    do not read CC forums or ABC/Guardian news at night
    There is a scheme here to eliminate the right wing voters via blood pressure increase

frugal.rock, aus_trader, PZ99 and 2 others like this.
  10. sptrawler

sptrawler

As I was saying my wife gets 3-4 hrs a night, about every four to five nights, she has to take a sleeping pill otherwise she can't function.
    So as you say Logique it probably isn't good for you, I know when I was working I did 12 hour shifts, on nights I would get minimal sleep and found it difficult to focus which is dangerous in some jobs.

aus_trader and qldfrog like this.
  11. PZ99

PZ99 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Good calls :)

The army soldiers used to work on 4 hours sleep a night.
    Good article on the subject > https://www.sleep.org/articles/military-sleep-issues/

My real issue is the headache avoidance which probably leads to poor posture. Slept in the car for years between jobs and still do sometimes. I guess you get used to it. I usually do a 3am to 11pm day at and feel OK... but at home it's a crappy day if I go for more than 4 hours sleep.

sptrawler likes this.
  12. sptrawler

sptrawler

You probably should really do something about it, the problem isn't an issue so much when you are retired, but working and driving isn't good, also we can't afford to lose any ASF members so look after yourself.:xyxthumbs

13. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

I'm exactly like this. I noticed I have aged a lot in the face. But 20 hours a day often feels like is still not enough.
    I recently bought a garmin forerunner45 just to track my sleep patterns. I know they are not all that accurate but it's a good way to track my day.
    I've just started a heavy training workout so I need the extra sleep.

I was mma sparring previously with my sons without too much ill effect. Plenty of endurance anyway. I'm sure I heard the risk of stroke goes up or something though when you don't sleep enough.

aus_trader and sptrawler like this.
  14. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

Not getting dehydrated?
    That can bring on headache.

qldfrog likes this.
  15. PZ99

PZ99 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Definitely not dehydrated. The work I do is physical and involves a lot of heavy lifting which leads to a lot of inflammation around the neck and shoulders. My theory is it then leads to a bit of spinal fluid leaking into the skull during sleep - hence the headaches that get more severe with every extra hour sleep beyond the 4 hours

No worries, will do :)

aus_trader, qldfrog and IFocus like this.
  16. IFocus

IFocus You are arguing with a Galah

I get 8 to 9hrs no effort always have done.

If I drink alcohol (hmmm) or more than 2 coffees (hmmm x 2) back to 6 to 8hrs.

Everyone is different but Mo I think you are on the low side

Logique's advice is absolutely spot on best investment you could make get some advice physical and mental health are likely affected.

Macquack, aus_trader and sptrawler like this.
  17. Macquack

Macquack

I wish I could get away with 3-4 hours of sleep a day as I would be so much more productive. I am advancing to 3-4 hour naps a Day!

I know of one person who pretty much has AHD, who gets away with FA sleep and has been very successful in business. I think it will catch up with them eventually.​

18. Dona Ferantes

Dona Ferantes

Interesting topic. There's a lot of variables at play, and anecdotal evidence is just that. Some get by on less sleep than others, and definitely as one ages, the ability to kick on (let alone the desire) diminishes.

I find I have interrupted sleep (a trauma) and am frequently awake in the wee hours, but have what I call catch-ups with either a nap/ power nap or just a good night... 8-9 hrs, every so often but restorative. Deposit in Sleep Bank allowing for future withdrawals?

Another change that has helped is blue tint glasses. Jury is out but cutting out Screen Blues from computer or mobile seems to work. Less agitation.
    https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/new...errer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s

qldfrog, aus_trader and IFocus like this.
  19. frugal.rock

frugal.rock "Time wait's for no man"

To try,
    Have a bath or go for an easy swim, even a shower asap after work as it
    sounds like lactic acid build-up.
    Also sounds like your secadian rythyms are out of wack.
    Hope you get it sorted.
    F.Rock