• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

2018 US Tennis Open live telecast on SBS channel 3

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by bigdog, Sep 6, 2018.

1. bigdog

bigdog Retired

2018 US Tennis Open live telecast is now on SBS channel 3

Quarter finals, Semi finals and Finals

Telecast starts
    Thursday and Friday at 9:00 AM
    Saturday, Sunday and Monday at 6:00 AM

Enjoy

Not really well advertised

2. Miss Hale

Miss Hale

Just watched Millman lose to Djokovic :(

They need to show more of the earlier rounds to build interest.

3. Macquack

Macquack

I didn't realise that the US Open is the only Grand Slam event that adopts a tiebreaker in the 5th set. Dominic Theim was unlucky to lose to Nadal in a 5th set tiebreaker.

4. Macquack

Macquack

John Millman is a class act. He reminds me of the "old school" Australian tennis players like Rod Laver, Roy Emerson, Ken Rosewall, John Newcombe, Tony Roche etc. Nick Kyrgios and Bernard Tomic should take note.

Miss Hale likes this.
  5. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Yes, a good player with a good temperament.

Don't forget Pat Rafter either, he was a class act as Pete Sampras said.

6. bigdog

bigdog Retired

The tennis today, Sunday and Monday starts at 6:00 AM Aust Eastern time

Today has both the men's semi finals

Nadal vs Del Potro now playing and at 7:30 AM AET with first set win for Del Potro 6/7 with playing time 69 minutes

7. grah33

grah33

It's unfortunate Nadal had to retire. The tennis world needs to see more fighting between Djokovic and Nadal.

8. bigdog

bigdog Retired

The womens final this morning is a must to see if a replay is possible

Naomi Osaka defeats Serena Williams 6-2 6-4 in extraordinary scenes at US Open Women’s Final

What happened?
    Williams was given a first code violation after Ramos judged a gesture from coach Patrick Mouratoglou to be coaching - which is allowed on the WTA Tour but not during Grand Slams.

Williams said she had not received any tactics from Mouratoglou, telling the umpire she would "never cheat to win and would rather lose".

The Frenchman later admitted to ESPN that he had been coaching from the box.

"I was coaching but I don't think she looked at me," Mouratoglou said. "Sash [Osaka's coach Sascha Bajin] was coaching as well, everybody does it."

Williams then received another for a racquet smash at 3-2 in the second set, leading to Ramos docking her a point as Osaka started at 15-0 in the following game.

The American was furious, walking up to Ramos, shouting and pointing at him as the crowd started booing in support of the former world number one.

The drama continued as the atmosphere in Ashe became more toxic.

Williams, still angry with Ramos for the previous two violations, refused to let the issue slide and launched an extraordinary rant at him at the changeover with Osaka leading 4-3.

"You are a liar. You will never be on a court of mine as long as you live. When are you going to give me my apology? Say you are sorry," she told him.

That led to Ramos docking her the next game - leaving Osaka just one more away from victory at 5-3 up.

Boos continued to rain down, generating incredible noise, as Williams refused to take to the court and demanded an intervention from the tournament referee.

Eventually she returned to the baseline, serving out a game to love before Osaka showed remarkable focus to hold the final game for her first Grand Slam win.

9. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

I wonder if Naomi still considers Serena her 'hero' after that revolting display.

barney likes this.
  10. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

SBS the host broadcaster ..... says heaps about the popularity of the profession.

Serena can't even court dress like a grown up, asking her to behave like one would be a stretch.

Persistant tainties have always been the domain of the less talented in the IQ stakes.

barney likes this.
  11. dutchie

dutchie

Serena claims umpire is sexist.
    So, Serena, what you are saying is that Osaka is a male in disguise?

12. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

She's still got the black card to play once the child birth drama and gender discrimination is exhausted.

13. Darc Knight

Darc Knight

I thought the Gender stuff was a bit rich, or just trying to provoke sympathy or the sisterhood thing.

14. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

Well she suck seeded to some extent with Virginia this morning, which doesn't say a lot. The female commentators are hedging a bit by using the over umpiring excuse in a finals match ...an excuse I use when the AFL granny gets bogged down with pedantic rulz ... bit like that gimme to the Eagles in the dying moments on the weekend.

15. Logique

Logique Investor

Wow, Serena way to tarnish a reputation. Sexism she cries. And climate change I suppose.

barney likes this.
  16. barney

barney

;) …….

Her tears on cue were almost convincing as well …… not! I reckon she was crying because she suddenly realised she had made a goose out of herself and now the whole world knows she quacks …. or is that honks:p

17. sptrawler

sptrawler

She is just probably over doing this $hite, but close enough to a World record to keep going, but it gets harder and harder.
    A big brain fade, she has to get over it and knuckle down, or pull the pin. IMO

18. IFocus

IFocus You are arguing with a Galah

Note the umpire was paid $633 for the day..........only in the US surely.

19. sptrawler

sptrawler

I didn't watch the match, just a bit on the news, so am in no way conversant with the issue.
    I always thought the AFL, was silly to pay their umpires $1,000 per game, it opens up too many opportunities for money on the side.
    Not saying it happens, but the obvious enticement is there. IMO

20. grah33

grah33

1 free game for the penalty... Wrecked the final imo.