• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The Turnbull Government

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by drsmith, Sep 14, 2015.

1. drsmith

drsmith Well-Known Member

54 to 44.

Julie Bishop survives as deputy leader with around 70-odd votes.

2. SirRumpole

SirRumpole Well-Known Member

Any bets on the Treasurer ?

Likely Morrison ?

3. drsmith

drsmith Well-Known Member

4. So_Cynical

So_Cynical The Contrarian Averager

You're taking this well Doc?

5. explod

explod explod

New era, Turnbull my preference within libs.

Maybe we will be told now where the jobs are going to come from and that they actually do something about it.

And stop the senseless bombing of something of no value or help to people nearly on the other side of the planet.

6. basilio

basilio Well-Known Member

54-44 is no substantial victory given how tough the right wingers play politics.I just can't see how the majority of the current cabinet is going to stay in place.

I think that the real winner of this will end up being Scott Morrison. I can see Malcolm Turnball being kicked from pillar to post by the shock jocks,. I see him being unable to implement any of the policies that made him at least acceptable to middle Australia (review of CC policies, review of asylum seeker treatment, equal marriage).

Inside the party I just can't see his supporters having the stomach or the bottle to face down people like Brandis, Abetz, and co.

I completely agree with Malcolms position on opening up policy discussions and treating the public with intellectual respect. I just don't believe the current power brokers in the Liberal party ( and probably the labour Party) are on the same page.:(

7. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

I think we are about to see whether someone has the ticker to take charge.

8. explod

explod explod

The substance within his opening speach very refreshing.

Time will tell on follow through.

9. banco

banco Well-Known Member

He'll focus on economic reform.

10. sydboy007

sydboy007 Well-Known Member

Lets see how much the party will let him drag them back towards the centre. His popularity will wane considerably if he sticks to too many of the current policies.

I hope he can bring about some meaningful economic reforms, but with such a small win to be PM I fear he'll face a lot of white anting from within. Time will tell.

Fingers crossed a more effective PM will force a more effective opposition and then we all benefit.

Hard to feel sorry for Tony. $300K pension is not a bad consolation prize.

11. qldfrog

qldfrog Well-Known Member

Well quite happy but it comes so late and the damages are so huge to the country after both Julia G and Tony A. that I do not give him much hope,
    And then thinking that he has to deal with a party room which was still supporting Abbott a few month ago, not only will he face the legacy but i am afraid it will be endless back stabbing;
    Respect for daring to take control of a sinking ship in these conditions!

12. Knobby22

Knobby22 Mmmmmm 2nd breakfast

He will be great. The election is one year away. The party will now act to get back in.
    We haven't had a good leader since Howard.

As Laurie Oakes said, Shorten looks almost as upset as Abbott.

13. SirRumpole

Yep. Shorten now has to rise to the challenge and prove he's got what it takes to be PM.

14. noco

noco Well-Known Member

Just get barnacle Bill to agree to the CHAFTA.....that is where the jobs will come from but Bill does not care about our Mums and Dads and jobs.....Bill is a job destroyer....Bill is just a political point scorer...His initials BS explains Bill well.

Any way Bill will be next to face the chopping block.

15. noco

noco Well-Known Member

The only thing Shorten has got is hairs around his bottom and that is where his brain is located as well.

16. SirRumpole

A very inciteful (spelling intended) analysis.

Not ad hominem at all.
    :rolleyes:

17. overhang

overhang Well-Known Member

It's going to be interesting to see what the polls decide, we know many conservatives see him as a Labor politician clone hiding in the Liberal party but he is far more appealing to the moderates than Abbott was, Bishop would have been the good middle ground between the two.

The only way things can stablise for the Liberals is if Abbott retires but even then you have people like Corey Bernardi who will always be quite an outspoken critic of Turnbull within the party and Turnbull has no hope of winning over the likes of Andrew Bolt.
    How he handles policys that we know he has a quite strong progressive stance on like climate change, gay marriage and a republic will define how the conservatives view him.

18. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

I must admit I am rather surprised there hasn't been more attacking Rudd and Gillard in this thread. The Liberal Party rusted ons have had more years of snide Abbott sloganeering than a waterboarder has endured at Guantanamo Bay, I would have thought the zombie statements and fallacious arguments would be every second post.

BTW I didn't see Noco in the corridors yesterday or in the party room. :rolleyes:

19. SirRumpole

One wonders if the Libs will treat Turnbull like they treated Abbott, as a vehicle to get them into government (or in Turnbull's case keep them there), after that dump him for ideological reasons.

20. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

Which LIBS are we talking about?:- Rupert Murdoch who had a secret squirrel meeting(s) with the likes of Hockey a few weeks back; the North Shore Diocese; Melbourne's South East Man's Club; or the inconsequential party loyals who will vote for a pig with lipstick and a tutu, so long as it has a blue riband around its neck and a placard similar to "Ditch the Witch"......all class.