• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Straddles with weekly options

Discussion in 'Derivatives' started by mjim, Sep 12, 2016.

1. mjim

mjim Well-Known Member

Does anybody do straddles with weekly Options ?
    - Total cost is less than a monthly but it also means lot less time for the underlying to move in one direction
    - What indicator one can use to back test and see the trading range of the underlying to see if it moves sufficiently in a week?

2. minwa

minwa Well-Known Offender

Are you proposing a strategy to buy every week ? I don't think it will work, market conditions change - but don't take my word for it..do your own studies.

You do not need any indicator. Simply use the price of the underlying.

3. mjim

mjim Well-Known Member

Yes buy a straddle made up of weekly options perhaps with 3 days left to expiary
    For example
    ES as underlying futures and weekly Es options may be costing 5points x50 x2 = $500 so the Es needs to move more than 10 points in either direction !
    Or Options on CL futures assuming it moves sufficiently on Wed announcement!

4. Virge666

Virge666 Active Member

There is a lot of Gamma risk with holding to expiration. You almost turn it into a binary event, not quite, but close.

I like a Calendar or a condor/iron fly at the other end. So buy on the Thursday/Friday and close on the Tuesday or wednesday... more of a chance to pull out 10-20% consistently.

Your way may indeed work - but if you get a 1-1.5 SD move and you have you hat in your hands. Like last Friday . . . When you trade a bit further out - you still get the occurrences, but you just get that much more time to adjust or get out.

Lastly - assignment risk is an issue with holding them...