• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Do you love whales?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by moneymajix, Feb 7, 2008.

1. moneymajix

moneymajix Well-Known Member

Refocus on whales, not whaling

Thousands of whales continue to be savagely hunted and killed every year. At WSPA, we are determined to put a stop to this cruelty ”“ a vision we think you share.

It’s not long til the International Whaling Commission’s next meeting. With Japan and Norway preparing to hunt nearly 2,500 whales this year, it’s time the Commission reassessed its priorities.

Will you help us remind the world that the argument should not be about kill quotas, but protecting whales from suffering?

Please make your voice heard. Add your name to our petition and tell governments it‘s time to refocus on whales not whaling Sign petition now >

http://www.wspa-international.org/news.asp?newsID=484&type=0

2. moneymajix

moneymajix Well-Known Member

3. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg Everyone wants money

I don`t just love whales, I love all of nature as much as any dumb human could.I think we should stick to eating cows,sheep,chickens and pigs.Leave the wild animals/plants be.

4. 2020hindsight

2020hindsight Well-Known Member

yep
    and I hate lying whalers who look you in the eye and claim its scientific.

and of course they claim this wasn't mother - and - calf
    But it sure was some mother's calf :(

And they claim it's necessary for their "science" to sample all sizes :eek:
    (whatta loada bs)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/02/07/2157129.htm

Attached Files:

5. MS+Tradesim

MS+Tradesim Well-Known Member

I eat meat...still, it would be nice to see our table food shown the respect and compassion it deserves...

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Science/Story?id=771414&page=1

I'm glad they're making an outrage about whales. Maybe after they ban whaling the activists can turn their attention to caged hens and other atrocities that occur on our own soil.

6. nioka

nioka Well-Known Member

Whale beef for the school lunches and whale veal for the restaurant trade. Happens all the time with cattle, beef and veal and with sheep, mutton and lamb.

7. 2020hindsight

Maybe,
    then again you read that most of the meat is thrown out
    the modern Japanese don't like it that much :eek:

PS I notice (on Lateline) the hunting of dugong in Aus waters getting some attention.
    should be worth watching things develop

8. numbercruncher

numbercruncher Beware of Dropbears

I try not to think about it too much because it pisses me off so much that I end up feeling vengeful and angered, which elevates my stress levels which then leads to hardening of my arteries , see what these Idiots are doing, not just killing Harmless beautiful whales but slowly killing those whom care about them as well.

Owned my First Save the Whales T, well singlet, nearly 20 years ago, think ill come back as a Whale in my next life with Intercontinental Nuclear tipped whale boat busta-move (C) missles fitted inside my blow hole. Ill then hook up with Mobi Dick and the other boys from the country club and go whaler-ing ;)

:)

9. Awesomandy

Awesomandy Well-Known Member

The Japanese have been hunting whales for many many years. It's part of their tradition and culture to do so. And now, just because the western world think it's wrong, they are forcing the Japanese to change their way of life. So, in this regard, I actually support whaling, as long as they are not being hunted to extinction (which unfortunately, I have to say, is a bit of a fine line nowadays.) Just imagine it, all Islamic countries decide to join forces, and try to ban the hunting of pigs/serving of pork in the rest of the world. How would you feel about that?

(Apologies to the Islamic population on this forum - this is only an example, and not an attack on your ways of life). :)

10. agro

agro Well-Known Member

i signed it on the fact that the whales they are hunting are on the endangered list..

once the whales go what next? seals?

oh and its for the better of humanity - research purposes right :rolleyes:

11. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

Nonsense!!

Do some more research.

12. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck!

Hahaha I can see Japanese whalers in wooden long boats
    paddling down to Antarctica loading up with whale and paddling back!!They've whaled out their back door so they come down to ours.

Papau New Guinea Natives can be excused of killing then consuming their victims----because cannibalism has been part of their culture for years.

Fur seals----

There are times when cultures must change their old habits for the good of the planet.
    Have you become involved in "Global Warming" yet or is that just something the whole world should ignore?

The Japanese are very selfish on this issue.Support global warming but stuff the whales.

As for this Research nonsense.How stupid do they really think the populace of the world is.How Arrogant.

13. Judd

Judd Well-Known Member

Incorrect.

General MacArthur, as military governor of Japan in 1945, revived the practice of large-scale whaling to feed millions of Japanese who were on the verge of starvation after World War II.

Before that, only small minority of Japanese dined on whale meat. And most of those lived in isolated coastal communities and obtained their whales "passively", ie when they were driven ashore by whale sharks, or by surrounding them in a mass of small boats and spearing them to death.

Ancient Japan was never a builder of large ships and deep-water whaling was only introduced there in the 19th century as Japan emerged from a long period of self-imposed seclusion.

14. 2020hindsight

15. IFocus

IFocus You are arguing with a Galah

Japan is the worlds greatest consumer of fish.

The world wide catch of wild fish has been in decline for some time better technology less fish.

About 70 per cent of marine fish stocks are either fully exploited, over fished, depleted or recovering from overfishing.

Ask nioka if he can take his grand kids and catch the same kind and amount of fish like he used to at the same age?

Nioka to state the obvious there are animals that are farmed and bred for human consumption and have been for thousands of years.

The hunting of the likes of mountain Gorillas and whales I find an abhorrence and struggle to understand the conscious intellect of those who do.

Focus

16. roland

roland Well-Known Member

.... and remember how much trouble the lack of whales caused the guys from Star Trek:

A space probe appears over 23rd century earth, emanating strange sounds towards the planet, and apparently waiting for something. As time goes on, the probe starts to cause major storms on earth and threaten its destruction. James T. Kirk and crew are called upon once again to save mankind. They discover the strange sound is actually the call of the humpback whale - which has been hunted to extinction. They have only one choice - to attempt to time travel back into the 20th century, locate a whale, and bring it back to 23rd century earth to reply to the probe. Written by Colin Tinto {cst@imdb.com}

17. Awesomandy

Awesomandy Well-Known Member

From what I know, whaling has been mentioned in Japanese literature dating back to the 7th and 8th century. Harpoons were used from around the late 16th century as well.

18. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg Everyone wants money

19. gelatii

gelatii New Member

20. --B--

--B-- Well-Known Member

i have no problem whatsoever with japanese whaling.

i would have absolutely no problem if commercial whaling was reinstated and regulated so as to remain sustainable.

i find it terribly hypocritical of western nations to tell the japanese what they can and cant eat. if the japanese want to eat minke whales then they should be allowed to.

as it stands they utilise a loophole in the IWC regulations that allows whaling for scientific purposes. there is no doubt the japanese do indeed conduct research as they submit reports to the IWC which outline the research being done. lets not forget the IWC is a purely voluntary organisation and the japanese are members so as to keep the peace.

its a disgrace that our government, a member of the IWC, now feels we have the right to openly and publicly criticise the japanese for doing something that is entirely legal and is approved by the organisation of which we are members.