• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Daylight saving has ended

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RamonR, Apr 6, 2010.

1. RamonR

RamonR Well-Known Member

Watching the market this morning and no activity.
    Finally worked out it is the end of daylight savings so no 9am starts for market from queensland anymore.

2. newbie trader

newbie trader Well-Known Member

Re: Day light savings has ended

It's good, now we are on par with the rest of the country - but in saying that I hope QLD doesnt take up day light saving.

3. RamonR

RamonR Well-Known Member

I like the 9am start.
    Why can't the share market put in a full working day anyway.
    I have to work 8 hours why can't it.

4. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

It's daylight saving - without the "s"

5. newbie trader

Has to take the kids to school before work I think.

6. newbie trader

Yes, yes it is.

7. Trembling Hand

Trembling Hand Can be found on the bid

To suck the punters in to chasing the easy life of a half days work and unlimited riches.

8. Sir Osisofliver

Sir Osisofliver Well-Known Member

LOL at TH - that statement was far too cynical accurate.

@ RamonR - it's to give the clearing houses and Brokerage firms enough time to settle transactions within normal business hours.

Cheers

Sir O

9. WaveSurfer

WaveSurfer Manic

LOL, happened to me as well.

I'm glad it's over. Don't get me wrong, I love daylight saving. Being an ex-Victorian I had grown well accustomed to it. But now as I live on the QLD/NSW border, I have grown to loath it. My wife works in QLD but we reside in NSW. So we live in QLD time all year round. An absolute pain in the backside too. The only thing I like about it is that we have 2 new years eve countdowns each year :alcohol:

Nothing worse than when you need milk for the little ones in the morning and you miss the milk bar by an even 1 hour. Makes me have to drive further to the nearest 24hr servo. And ringing the relo's at 9-10pm at night to find they are in bed and it's near midnight for them :p:

Next turn of DS, we're going to have to have 2 clocks. Our son starts school in NSW so we'll have to live in 2 time-zones :banghead:

So, come on QLD. Get your act together and implement it by next Oct. Oh wait, it screws up your milking of the cows right? :D

10. noirua

noirua Well-Known Member

Quite right, totally agree. The UK market opens at 8am and the Aussie market 10am - They're all a lot of lazy loafers - Gives Aussies a bad name across the World.

11. Trembling Hand

Hong Kong is open for 4 & 1/2 hours and its action packed, Japan similar. Nothing happens in the UK market for well over half the time its open. More hours just means longer lunch hours doing exactly nothin'.

12. noirua

noirua Well-Known Member

You are 'joking me': London is one of the words biggest stockmarkets.

13. Trembling Hand

No not at all. Have a look at volumes and movements during lunch hours. All the business is done on the open in the first 1 hour and then it goes to sleep until the afternoon as the US opens.

Just like every other market the volume and range is in a U shape around the open, lunch and close with the UK particularly wasted during their extended lunch, "one of the words biggest stockmarkets" or not.

14. Airfireman

Airfireman Well-Known Member

How do we teach Queenslanders to embrace and enjoy the wonders of Daylight saving and not worry that their curtains will fade, or the cows wont milk because of the time change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. sails

sails Well-Known Member

Haha - we don't all feel that way. In fact there was an epetition some time ago with a big response from Queenslanders and conveniently brushed aside. There is a thread somewhere in the archives of ASF with more info on it all.

Personally, I don't really care if we have daylight saving or not - it's the inconvenience of living half the year in sync with the eastern states and then the other half being an hour out of sync. Grrrr...

We were in Adelaide recently and noticed how incredibly dark it was at 7am in the morning. Seems that some of the locals down there think daylight saving is pretty stupid anyway.

Maybe it should all be scrapped in Oz... lol

16. Smurf1976

Smurf1976 Well-Known Member

It's a local issue. Queenslanders seem to like having it dark at 8pm and light as some very early time in the morning. Given the heat etc it's understandable wanting the sun to set well before going to bed.

Tasmanians on the other hand seem to find light most of the evening in Summer useful for doing the garden and getting some excercise and don't miss the hour in the morning since most people don't wake up until after 6am anyway.

Apparently, the biggest problem with daylight saving is fading curtains and also it upsets the cows. It must take a while though - been going since the 1960's and it doesn't seem to have caused any real problems yet, probably because most people would have replaced their curtains in that time anyway. :)

17. Grinder

Grinder Don't feed the bear!

all I know is Im getting up earlier an earlier to trade the last couple of hours of the US markets. 4am starts are a bit much:banghead: want it back to 8 hours difference.

just feel like having a winge.

18. Calliope

Calliope Well-Known Member

The old chestnut of a daylight saving trial and referendum has again been raised in Queensland. In this case they are talking about split zones.

It won't happen. If you have a friend or relative in an institution, a care facility, in a retirement facility or in a nursing home, you might care to ask them whether they like being fed their evening meal in the middle of the afternoon on a blazing hot summer day.

It is bad enough now that all their meals times have to be within the limits of an eight hour (or less) working day.

The worst time of the day for them is time between when they are fed and when they can retire. They don't have the option of going surfing.

19. Whiskers

Whiskers It's a small world

It's that time of year again.

All you southerners remember to change your clocks back to eastern standard time.

20. sails

sails Well-Known Member

And Queenslanders now don't have to have two clocks when trading the markets and doing business with southern states...:rolleyes:

AT least we have a few months of repreive until we go out of sync again...:)

And I don't really care one way or the other about daylight saving itself, but I do get annoyed at having six months of time difference and six months being the same.