• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

BHP - BHP Billiton

Discussion in 'Stocks 0-H' started by It's Snake Pliskin, May 14, 2005.

1. It's Snake Pliskin

It's Snake Pliskin Well-Known Member

I was reading today about predicted price weakness for BHP in the next week. I don't hold any yet. Who might see any further price weakness as a good opportunity to buy? Generally I'm probably a bit negative on the resource stocks due to their well known booms and busts. I'm aware of the China story, but am realistic enough to know that it may not last beyond 2005.

The last round of price negotiations soured the relationship between BHP and China. Knowing the business style of the Chinese, I feel BHP may have done itself some damage long term.

Who sees RIO as a better alternative BHP long term?

2. bvbfan

bvbfan Well-Known Member

Re: BHP - Price weakness

Prudential have cut the US listed securities to underweight and the price target from $30US to $18US

They say the price paid for WMR is too high in the current market

3. It's Snake Pliskin

I should have posted in the other thread. Found it after I posted.

4. markrmau

markrmau Well-Known Member

I dont hold any BHP or RIO, but basically most of the current price weekness is associated with what happens to metal prices on the LME (look at http://kitcometals.com/). Also BHP is in the oil market, and POO is droping as well at the moment: http://www.futuresource.com/charts/charts.jsp?s=CL&o=&a=D&z=610x300&d=LOW&b=bar&st=

As for metal prices, I think the RIO CEO summed it up best when he said there will be a lot of volatility until the end of the year with prices then stabalizing. As for POO however, I suspect that the supply / demand equation doesn't quite warrant the current prices (I may be completely wrong of course).

Are RIO and BHP currently overvalued? - I don't think so, and neither do the real experts - the people running the companies. If RIO thought itself overvalued, why would it be participating in the share buyback. And BHP/WMR - if BHP thought itself overvalued, it would have offerred WMR holders a share swap rather than cash.

When to buy bhp/rio? Sorry I can't tell but I think that a short term minimum might be $15.50-$16. Fust a few thoughts...

5. markrmau

markrmau Well-Known Member

I wouldn't buy BHP or RIO today unless you see a really significant recovery in the 3-4pm period that brings the SP back to yesterdays range...

6. mime

mime Well-Known Member

I think it's a good time to buy in.

Energy/Resources sector has been hit hard but is still very profitable.

7. DTM

DTM Well-Known Member

BHP set to go up?

BHP seems to be uncharateristically moving up very strongly for intra-day. I took a look at the options and there seems to be a lot buying for calls.

Sorry if there was another BHP thread, couldn't find it.

8. It's Snake Pliskin

Re: BHP set to go up?

I traded this stock a few weeks ago and got out at $18.60 with a profit.
    I bought again yesterday at $18.32 and it has shot up today. I believe it is going to go up more based on its exposure to uranium. It's oil revenue is high and reporting season will be good for this one. This is a stock still lower than the previous peak, though fundamentally better with more earnings potential.

This post is aptly named I feel. This is not a ramp! :bigun2:

9. DTM

DTM Well-Known Member

Somethings up!!! BHP up 35cents at $19 and looks like to climb steadily. I've already sold 20 of my ITM call options and was looking to sell 20 OTM call options when someone placed an undisclosed buy amount at the front of the que. Its rare to see that happen and it could become interesting.

News has it that they've developed a new mine venture with a Japanese Steel company worth 5.7 billion.

BHP Billiton signs Japanese steel deal
    July 21, 2005 - 10:44AM

BHP Billiton has signed a 11-year supply deal with one of Japan's leading steel mills, JFE Steel, worth $5.69 billion.

The iron ore will come from BHP's Yandi mine in Western Australia supplying 16 million tonnes a year.

JFE Steel will take a 20 per cent stake in a sub lease of the Yandi mine.

This BHP's first joint venture with a Japanese steelmaker.

BHP president of Western Australia iron ore, Ian Ashby, said the deal would help ensure BHP maintains its share of the growing iron ore market.

10. DTM

DTM Well-Known Member

Oops, it just got swallowed up.

11. It's Snake Pliskin

12. DTM

DTM Well-Known Member

13. brisvegas

brisvegas Well-Known Member

BHP rolling over?

BHP looking like on the verge of rolling over , gave a sell sig on my daily swingsetup recently . if i was a long term holder might lighten a little

bris

Attached Files:

14. RichKid

RichKid PlanYourTrade > TradeYourPlan

Re: OUTSTANDING BREAKOUT Alerts!!

There appears to be some moderate support at 19.50, previous high. I hold and I think that's a logical stop level, which means the instos may try to shakeout the small hands imo. So 19 to 19.50 must survive.

15. The Estimator

The Estimator Well-Known Member

Any thoughts? 3 steady gains in a row without the rediculous pogo-ing thats been going on the last month. Is it getting back on track or is it a last gasp before heamoraging? I'm only new to this game and my charting is pretty crap at the best of times but I'm thinking if it goes through 2080 it could be the start of a steady up trend.

John

DISCLAIMER
    I suck

16. Rockon2

Rockon2 Well-Known Member

Gday Estimator :)
    Imo its into no mans land, meaning its not overbought or sold, and will prob drift for a while to come.. Be ready to trade the break on support or resistance lines.
    And Im still a bull on bhp in general....We really are in a commodities boom dont forget..
    P.S. Love your Disclaimer. :)

17. The Estimator

Hehe yeah, I wouldn't want someone to take something I said on board without being fully aware that I suck

18. The Estimator

Well it was kinda cool to pick an increase in the old girl (My first real forecast) but it was bitter sweet. I got onto some warrants last month and then the pogoing ensued. Since National online doesnt have a trailing stoploss or any stoploss that I'm aware of and so much seesawing in the price I set a break even plus 15% sell point incase I missed a good increase while working. I basically wanted to get out. Well I hadnt reset it and I was real busy all morning. I check it out at lunch time and my warrants sold for 150 but continued on to 173. Well lesson learned. Time to find an online broker with some stoploss tools and so forth. Also might be time to get a system down on paper.

John

19. Yippyio

Yippyio Well-Known Member

UBS re rate BHP from Neutral 2, to Buy 2. This translated into a modest gain on Friday but BHP traded much better over night, on both the DOW and the FTSE up 3.281 and 3.19 respectively.:bananasmi

The strength of these solid gains "should" flow through to our market on Monday with perhaps, maybe a 3% gain or 0.62 cents.:2twocents

My views are obviously pure speculation. Even with all the research and charts in the world the market will invarible do the exact opposite of what I expect. Thankfully for me my short term losses are asborbed by the gains in my long term holds. :)

20. Yippyio

Yippyio Well-Known Member

Deutche Bank re rates BHP :2twocents

FYI

Deutsche ups BHP Billiton price target
    Source: LONDON REU
    Date: 2005-Sep-17 07:49 AM
    Deutsche Bank raised its BHP Billiton share price target to 960 pence from 910p on Friday after the bank upgraded its oil price forecasts.

"Further upgrades to oil price outlook serve to reinforce the dynamics of energy in the commodity complex," Deutsche said in a research note.

The bank rates its top picks for the mining sector - BHP Billiton, Rio Tinto and Xtrata - at "buy".

:shoot: :bigun2: