Being a newb to the finance forums i have decided its time to make my first post. Over the last few weeks i have spend a few hours weekly reading a few topics on the site and have realised i know bugger all about the asx and shares. I was hoping to get some decent advice on what i should invest in and also how to go about it, but currently i am struggling to take in much.
A few rules i have learnt so far:
1) Do as much homework on the industry and company your looking to invest in. Why the hell would you throw money into something you know nothing about.
2) Dont expect anything quick - investing is for the long term.
3) Invest what you can afford to lose, majority of people will lose the majority of their money initially.
My problem now is i dont have a clue what to invest in. I really dont know where to start researching a company (apart from annual reports) or what type of company to invest in. Im happy to invest in a company for a few years but i just want to know where i can find all of this information about the company.
1) What books should i read? "Rich dad poor dad", "barefoot invester" and "why we want you to be rich" really didn't do much for me. Most of the content was explained to me in my final years of highschool or first few years of uni.
2) Where else can i find information other than annual reports and in magazines?
3) What magazines should i subscribe to? BRW? financial times? and what can i expect from these?
Please forgive my ignorance, but i am a uni student who has a passion for busines. Currently i have only a small amount of funds $2000 to invest, so im not expecting much at all. i just have a hunger to learn as much asap.
Any advice appreciated.