SA Government calling for public submissions on domestic violence laws - Aussie Stock Forums

NSW, Australia

Default SA Government calling for public submissions on domestic violence laws

From ABC, March 8, 2007

A South Australian Government-commissioned review has found that the state's domestic violence laws are outdated.

The review is part of a broader examination of the state's rape and sexual assault laws.
    Minister for the Status of Women Jennifer Rankine says the review highlighted the problem of repeat offenders and also widened the definition of a victim.

"I think the Act currently just reflects simply physical violence," Ms Rankine said.

"But is it also emotional violence? Is it economic violence? Is it the threat to injure pets which was found as one of the major reasons women stay in domestic violence situations."
    The Government is now calling for public submissions on the review.
    I wonder if residents of other states can make suggestions too?

Printing My Own Money chops_a_must's Avatar
    Close to the low flying magpie geese

Default Re: SA Government calling for public submissions on domestic violence laws

"But is it also emotional violence?"

Oh no. The femo-nazis wont allow that one in there.

"Is it economic violence?"

Nope. It's every woman's right to max out hubbies credit card.
    Up the Rats!!!!

Default Re: SA Government calling for public submissions on domestic violence laws

Economic violence or bullying was one of the reasons why not too many marriages failed 100 years ago.

Women had no means of economic support outside marriage cell and were virtual prisoners.

But as any other phenomenon prone to abuse.

Whoosssshhh!!! (pendulum just swung the other way )

Whatever they do in SA, I hope they don't copy the Tasmanian domestic violence laws.

All it takes in Tas is ONE phone call and the man is automatically assumed to be guilty. No evidence required but odds are they find themselves behind bars.

It's no secret that quite a few innocent people have spent months in prison due to this law.

Fair enough to have laws to protect people. But having a law which states that a woman is always the victim and that the man is automatically guilty with NO TRIAL is an outright injustice IMO.

I have no personal experience with this law but I know people who have been driven close to suicide by it. In one case a man who walked out of a failing relationship and is damn lucky to be not locked up because of it.

His crime? He'd had enough of her literally stealing money (as in physically stealing credit cards and running them up to the limit) and demanding he work practically 24/7 on their rural property whilst she did literally nothing. He had enough, walked out and promptly ended up with an FVO (Family Violence Order) against him. No trial, no right to defend himself, no lawyers and so on.

Over 12 months later that FVO is still in place with no end in sight - just as well he didn't fully meet the "score card" criteria for being locked up although he came damn close.

It even came to the point of police hounding him with their own allegations, presumably in the hope that he would crack and plead guilty. Allegations which were subsequently proven ínaccurate by Telstra records (he was going to be literally locked up for making a phone call).

As his boss, I even received a threatening phone call from the authorities (reminding me that I could find myself locked up if I didn't comply) demanding that I hand over his bank account details at once.

That farce only ended when I informed the caller that it was company policy to record all calls to business phones - all of a sudden they didn't need the account details after all. Upon investigating the matter I found that he didn't actually owe anyone money as the money in question had already been paid in full and on time.

And yet his ex-partner whose allegations have not stood scrutiny faces no punishment whatsoever. Neither do police with their own disproven allegations. Meanwhile he pays the legal bills to stay out of prison.

This was a clearly defective law at the time of its introduction. It was obvious that any system requiring no proof and which automatically assigned guilt to the man was wide open to abuse. A point that many well respected lawyers and opposition political parties noted at the time and have continued to raise since it was introduced.

Let's face it, who hasn't had a disagreement with their partner or left a failed relationship at some point? But forget sleeping on the couch or heading off to court, all it takes in Tas is one phone call and his life is destroyed there and then. No evidence required and more importantly, NO TRIAL by judge or jury.

Even if it does get to court, a judge has no discretion in applying the law. If the man is unemployed, of various backgrounds, has left the relationship or there are children involved then that alone removes the power of the courts. Mandatory sentencing at its worst.

Guilty until proven innocent with no real chance to actually prove that innocence (it's pretty hard to mount a legal case when you're already in prison). Not in some distant dictatorship but right here in Tasmania.

Obviously your account demonstrates considerable injustice and I feel for the man concerned.

I've seen some financial coercion, blackmail, etc., e.g. various degrees of using money to wield emotional force, but none of that comes close to the endless stream of physically and emotionally abused women, some of whom are perpetually on the move to escape their violent ex-partners who threaten to kill not only the woman but the children. When you see a woman who is covered in bruises, shaking in fear, and afraid to let go of her children for two seconds, You begin to understand the meaning of abuse. Usually the violent ex partner is just fine until he is drunk.

These relationships, dysfunctional as they are, often continue for many years as when he gets sober, he apologises, she wants to believe he will change (!), and so the merry go round continues. The cycle of abuse and forgiveness becomes "normal" to both partners. They are adults and can be held responsible for their choices. The real tragedy is the children.