Commercial property investment - Aussie Stock Forums

Default Commercial property investment

Am looking into a partnership with parents... possibly a commercial property investment i.e. office & budget $500k including cost, but we are quite green, not really know where to begin, besides the forum.

questions to the forum members are:

1. Is there a minimum floor area we should look into? There are some office space about 40m2 for sale. But who would actually rent such a small office? If i am a one man-operating company, wouldn't i be better off working from home than renting a small office space?

2. Besides the coporate and council fees, are there any other?

3. Like residential, should we follow the same property investment mantra- location, location and location?

opinions from anyone would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Default Re: - commercial property investment

I always think it best to pay extra for a prominent spot.

A lot of warehouse developments seem to have the ones down the back empty, even though the front one charges higher rent, they still seem the most popular.
    Pollution is the real threat, Co2 is just a convenient distraction

Default Re: - commercial property investment

Is there a minimum floor area we should look into?
    As much as you can afford in the right location!

I have no idea who would rent a 40 sq m property, but I am sure that they are around - look at the serviced offices in North Sydney - some of these are quite small. The tenants in these locations need a location that present a certain image - a bit of a shopfront. The fun part is when you are trying to find tenants, it is not uncommon to find that you have to give incentives depending on the location and competing properties.

I am no expert though and, like everything - do your homework. It can be hard if you only have one property but, like shares, if you have a portfolio of property it is less risky. My preference is for commercial over residential (unless it's your own house), and shares over both. With relatively small sums of money I would have to consider if commercial property is the best choice. I do own some commercial property but I really don't get too excited by it - I mainly rent it to "myself". But each to their own.