at 3am this morning a fire started in my son's bedroom (upstairs) from a heater that developed an electrical fault. It sparked onto a rubbish bin of paper, and then onto the computer. My son was sound asleep at the time - his room had filled with toxic smoke from the plastic until he woke from the fire alarm going off. He woke my other son up as the flames were about to reach the wooden walls and was able to grab some water and wet the wall, while older son called the Fire Brigade. By now we (parents) were awake and had put the fire out as the Brigade arrived - by then it was just smouldering.
The Firies told us we were incredibly lucky, had the fire got into the roof then the house was gone because of its structure. The boys rooms are built into the roof so the ceiling is only about 1 metre above this wall - kind of attic like! Let alone the smoke in a room where someone was sleeping - they told my son he had done a wonderful job in preventing a major disaster.
Lots of smoke damage, the house reeks of smoke, maybe $5000 damage and we are all alive to tell the story.
Am waiting to ring the Insurance Company now - could have been a claim of over $600,000 but now, probably around $5000.
People, if you do nothing else today, put a new battery in your smoke alarm - it saved my son's life! And I never thought it would ever happen to me.