Quantcast Commonwealth Bank - Aussie Stock Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1. #1

    Thumbs down Commonwealth Bank

    Hi all feel like a whinge.

    My girlfriend is the head teller at the local Commonwealth Bank branch here in hicksville, just south of newcastle, and has just spent her entire lunch break talking my ear off about her latest run in with the area manager about the branches poor performance of late. Before I met my girlfriend, I would have thought that poor performance from a bank teller would have meant not giving out the right amount of money, or not balancing up at the end of the day, But all of the CBA's tellers don't just do that, they are salesmen to boot(not that they get higher pay for it though)

    Pretty well every teller for the CBA has certain targets that they are expected to meet, ie how many home loan referrals they should get, credit card enquires, etc, etc. These sales targets for the "tellers" at the CBA are set by the head office and are the same for everyone, which is fine for the people working in the bigger branches, but for my girlfriend's branch, which has only 3 tellers, 2 of which are part time, these targets are basically impossible to meet. Blind freddy would be able to see that the reason that they cannot meet targets in this branch is because of the small amounts of customers that come through the door, not the incompetance of the staff in there. Unfortunately for my girlfriend, the head office doesn't see it this way. They expect her branch to sell the same amount of products as the busier branches in the city!

    They are now starting to make life extremely difficult for her, and have come out and said that if they can't meet their targets, then the bank will have to find other people who can. There is no possible way to sell the same pensioners that are in the bank each week a home loan, or get them to sign up for a credit card, and it's now gotten to the point where she is thinking about leaving the bank before she gets fired(she'd be the 4th to quit this year out of 6 total staff in the branch), and the head office still doesn't think there's anything wrong with the way they are running the show.

    I find it very funny that a bank that has spend the last 15 years driving customers out of the branches to use atm's, netbank, etc, has finally realised that people are more likely to sign up for other banking services whilst in the branch, not outside using the atm! They have driven most of the customers away from the branches, and now expect the "telling" staff to talk the few remaining customers that come into the branch into getting a home loan!
    So folks if you bank with the commonwealth bank, especially in a quieter area, don't yell at them when they try to push a credit card application, or try to get you to switch your insurance, because they pretty well have to and their jobs are on the line if they don't!

  2. #2
    Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    2,631

    Default Re: Commonwealth Bank

    If she doesnt have a quota as part of her employment requirements, all she has to do to, is to watch not to be caught with anything else and she should be fine.

    But to me it looks that somebody is trying to get her unnerved and tries to make her snap.
    Maybe wants her place for somebody else or just another psychopath on supervisory position.

    Union not much help these days, maybe workplace relations, maybe time to look for another work, maybe full time trading a possibility?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Commonwealth Bank

    Hi happy, I probably should look if it's in her contract or not, thanks for that! From what she tells me, it's more of a bank wide problem than someone trying to get her- 3 other people have left her branch this year(1 retired), because they were sick of the way the bank forces them to sell products to the minority of customers that still come into the bank. The area office doesn't just have a problem with her, it's the others in the branch as well, but she cops most of it, because she's the head teller for the branch. The main problem is in the size of the branch and the area we live in. It's tiny! Some of the bigger branches don't have this problem because they have alot of business customers, and the ones in shopping centres get alot more traffic in them as well.
    I think she needs to keep working- her income coming in each fortnight keeps the pressure off me and stops me overtrading!!!

  4. #4
    Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    2,631

    Default Re: Commonwealth Bank

    It might look silly, but make few pamphlets with your girls name and business contact number and outline CBAs product being pushed and see what happens.
    And do the letter drop while on a walk trying to dry the tears out.

    Bit of a problem, that she puts her head out and somebody else at the teller might refer new business.
    But on the up side, during next appraisal she can mention her initiative to generate business if qualified enough, might even be considered for promotion.

    Always try to outsmart the opposition, even if in the same camp.

    Remember that at work, it is you versus everybody else.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Commonwealth Bank

    Thank you happy, you've been most helpful!

  6. #6

    Default Pimps

    ate i have just left CBA after getting sick and tired of tellers asking me if i woul like internet banking every single time i was served (been at the same branch for 6 years). I joined internet banking the first time they asked me and once a week for the last 300 or so weeks with out fail, "Would you like internet banking! Sir". Now they have started charging per transaction for internet use. Theyare pimps, Get the girls addicted to drugs and then use them up. Same with internet banking, get you on it with no charges, increase face to face transactions and then put fees on the internet. I say get your girl friend out of there. I have heard horror storys of poor tellers at the CBA crying after each shift. It was the best feeling in the world closing down my account, the girl asked me why i am closing down my account, well that was a mistake on her part (a few choice words and 15 minutes latter).

    ahh i feel much better.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Pimps

    Quote Originally Posted by banjo_pete
    ate i have just left CBA after getting sick and tired of tellers asking me if i woul like internet banking every single time i was served (been at the same branch for 6 years). I joined internet banking the first time they asked me and once a week for the last 300 or so weeks with out fail, "Would you like internet banking! Sir". Now they have started charging per transaction for internet use. Theyare pimps, Get the girls addicted to drugs and then use them up. Same with internet banking, get you on it with no charges, increase face to face transactions and then put fees on the internet. I say get your girl friend out of there. I have heard horror storys of poor tellers at the CBA crying after each shift. It was the best feeling in the world closing down my account, the girl asked me why i am closing down my account, well that was a mistake on her part (a few choice words and 15 minutes latter).

    ahh i feel much better.
    They generally ask things like that because they have to.
    yeah they can get pretty stressed out-she's told me some awful stories- a lady once came in picking nits out of her hair and throwing them on the carpet, mental people coming in and asking for a loan, dole bludging bums coming in yelling because bank fees have taken their money they were gunna spend on their kids(more like on drugs!).
    I've been telling her to look for another job, but I guess she isn't quite hating it enough to leave yet. Tell you what though- I want to be there when she does, just in case she goes out in a blaze of glory and tells all of the customers off

  8. #8

    Default Re: Commonwealth Bank

    CBA's NETBANK stopped charging the .50c fee per EFT transaction on the 3rd April.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Commonwealth Bank

    Quote Originally Posted by professor_frink
    Hi all feel like a whinge.

    My girlfriend is the head teller at the local Commonwealth Bank branch here in hicksville, just south of newcastle, and has just spent her entire lunch break talking my ear off about her latest run in with the area manager about the branches poor performance of late.
    Having worked for CBA for several years now I'm in a similar situation.
    While I enjoy the work for the most part, I'm stuck with dealing with stuff ups day in day out because the experienced staff have left and newbies are getting things wrong.
    At the current branch we have had 7 staff leave (there are only 5 positions in the branch) in about 9 months
    The whole area are short probably 20 staff

    I was previously in a quiet branch yet we had the same targets as the busiest branches. We are lucky to get a week of meeting targets in a year!

    Also be careful with what you are sold, I've seen clients being sold the wrong products and not being told of other products because those products don't count to the staff sales targets. But they would have been the best for the customer.
    Also now the staff get money for new accounts and loans etc its all sales based.
    I think that is pathetic.

    In the last few months I've realised it's not worth it. I could stay at home and as today make 2 months salary with stocks in a single day than being in that horrible place.
    What finally got to me was having no air conditioning for all of summer then getting it finally fixed at the end of March after threatening to bring the union in

    With the pamphlet drop, wish it was that easy!
    You have to get any marketing approved by legal area, so don't do that without their approval or she will be out of a job.

    The only good thing is the free shares I've received from them which are up 50%

  10. #10

    Default Re: Commonwealth Bank

    Quote Originally Posted by bvbfan
    Having worked for CBA for several years now I'm in a similar situation.
    While I enjoy the work for the most part, I'm stuck with dealing with stuff ups day in day out because the experienced staff have left and newbies are getting things wrong.
    At the current branch we have had 7 staff leave (there are only 5 positions in the branch) in about 9 months
    The whole area are short probably 20 staff

    I was previously in a quiet branch yet we had the same targets as the busiest branches. We are lucky to get a week of meeting targets in a year!

    Also be careful with what you are sold, I've seen clients being sold the wrong products and not being told of other products because those products don't count to the staff sales targets. But they would have been the best for the customer.
    Also now the staff get money for new accounts and loans etc its all sales based.
    I think that is pathetic.

    In the last few months I've realised it's not worth it. I could stay at home and as today make 2 months salary with stocks in a single day than being in that horrible place.
    What finally got to me was having no air conditioning for all of summer then getting it finally fixed at the end of March after threatening to bring the union in

    With the pamphlet drop, wish it was that easy!
    You have to get any marketing approved by legal area, so don't do that without their approval or she will be out of a job.

    The only good thing is the free shares I've received from them which are up 50%
    thanks for replying bvbfan, I was hoping that there would be someone on here that worked from the bank! Will scrap the mailout. You sound like your sick and tired of exactly the same things as my girlfriend is. She hasn't met her target for a long time and neither is anyone else in the branch. When one of the older staffmembers left earlier in the year, her replacement was a transfer from another branch who had never not made her target, and she hasn't made it once since being in the branch. It's crazy!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Commonwealth Bank

    Quote Originally Posted by bvbfan
    You have to get any marketing approved by legal area, so don't do that without their approval or she will be out of a job.
    I don't work for a bank, however I have had first hand experience of the CBA's marketing policies. When the Tsunamai struck, I wanted to donate to the Red Cross. I was at a major shopping centre and so went to each of the banks to see which one collected for the Red Cross. ANZ advertised that they were collecting for World Vision, St.George had a notice up as well, etc. The only bank that didn't have a notice up was CBA, who of course upon enquiring told me that yes they were collecting for the Red Cross. When I pointed out the lack of signage I was told that they couldn't put up any signage without area approval. I pointed out that every other bank had the jump on them in this regard, it didn't seem to make any difference. I suggested that their area manager should get generic signage for charitable collections made up. It could have a large, empty white box in the middle where you could texta in the agency you're collecting for. Before I knew it, the branch manager appeared with a notebook to copy down my idea, assuring me it would be sent to the area manager. Seriously, policy making has gone mad when the bank approves of its branches collecting for charities but wants to play games on the marketing front!!!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Commonwealth Bank

    Quote Originally Posted by professor_frink
    When one of the older staffmembers left earlier in the year, her replacement was a transfer from another branch who had never not made her target, and she hasn't made it once since being in the branch. It's crazy!
    Yeah we had a staff member who customers loved, been with the bank 25+ years. They pretty much forced her out
    The replacement is terrible, 9 years experience yet knows what I knew in 3 months.

    They say a rising tide lifts all boats but this ship is going to sink with incompetence very soon

  13. #13

    Default Re: Commonwealth Bank

    This sort of goings on sounds very familiar to when I worked in the public service under a Liberal government. Absolute incompetence coming from the very top (political level) and outright targetting of any group of people who actually knew what they were doing to the point of having few if any left who could actually do the job properly. Near total loss of corporate knowledge made it a hard problem to fix too.

    So I'm not sure how I feel really to learn that private enterprise is also capable of this approach. I always thought is was simply a Liberal thing in the public service (Labor took a far more practical approach) but obviously not. It costs an absolute fortune to fix once they realise just how badly all this nonsense messes things up.

  14. #14
    bullmarket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Looking over your right shoulder :)
    Posts
    937

    Default Re: Commonwealth Bank

    Hi ob1kenobi

    Quote Originally Posted by ob1kenobi
    I don't work for a bank, however I have had first hand experience of the CBA's marketing policies. When the Tsunamai struck, I wanted to donate to the Red Cross. I was at a major shopping centre and so went to each of the banks to see which one collected for the Red Cross. ANZ advertised that they were collecting for World Vision, St.George had a notice up as well, etc. The only bank that didn't have a notice up was CBA, who of course upon enquiring told me that yes they were collecting for the Red Cross. When I pointed out the lack of signage I was told that they couldn't put up any signage without area approval. I pointed out that every other bank had the jump on them in this regard, it didn't seem to make any difference. I suggested that their area manager should get generic signage for charitable collections made up. It could have a large, empty white box in the middle where you could texta in the agency you're collecting for. Before I knew it, the branch manager appeared with a notebook to copy down my idea, assuring me it would be sent to the area manager. Seriously, policy making has gone mad when the bank approves of its branches collecting for charities but wants to play games on the marketing front!!!
    we had a similar experience with CBA just recently

    You might recall that soon after cyclone Larry it was advertised just about everywhere in at least the TV media that donations to the cyclone Larry appeal could be made at any CBA branch.

    Wellllll...... mrs bullmarket decided to go into our local CBA branch to make a small donation. I waited outside thinking it'll take just a few mins...................20 minutes later she walked out (after 10 mins I went off for a wander after giving up waiting )

    After she got to the front of the customer service queue and asked if she could make a donarion, the assistant didn't know and went off behind closed doors to find out After she returned, she couldn't find the right form to fill out and so went of to one of the tellers to find the form. Mrs bullmarket then was called over to the teller and original assistant and between them managed to fill out a normal deposit slip and specifying a designated a/c number for the appeal.

    Anyway, at least mrs bullmarket managed to make our donation but what should have taken just a few mins ended up taking about 20.

    But at least the original assistant was curteous and helpful at all times. The fact she wasn't aware that CBA was accepting donations, let alone how to process it was most probably no fault of hers but due to a lack of communication and training from above. And like in your case there was no signage anywhere informing the public they were accepting donations

    cheers

    bullmarket

  15. #15

    Default Re: Pimps

    Quote Originally Posted by professor_frink
    They generally ask things like that because they have to.
    Ahh CBA is still doing the "Tag-on's" to customers.
    I feel sorry to all those who work in CBA who have these stupid targets.
    It is the worse technique of trying to cross sell products.

    I am afraid your girlfriend will still need to do the tag-on's to clients.
    It is apart of her performance requirements.

    If she does not perform, she will be placed on managing unacceptable performance, and within 1 month needs to be hitting target or she will be out the door.

    Even if she hits the target during this 1 month period, if her performance falls down during the next 6 months, she will be out the door.

    I am afraid all my techniques to get referrals for home lending etc are all out dated. When I worked for the bank, I had referral sources from accounting firms and real estate agencies. The accounting firms and real estate agents would refer clients directly to me and I would then on refer them to the lender or the financial planner etc. I was promoted from a GC3 teller to AMD financial planner within 8 months because of the business I got from these sources. However, the bank has now changed in that it offers $$$ incentives to these firms now. So if your gf did create this network, the area office would take it off her hands.

    My only advice for your gf is to find another job quickly.
    CBA does not pay well for the amount of crap you have to put up with.
    Try local/state or federal government for customer service roles.

    I left the bank for greener pastures. Better pay and best of all NO SALES TARGETS!

  16. #16

    Default Re: Commonwealth Bank

    This is unrelated ,
    but I`ve just received a request by comm.bank requesting our account details so they can upgrade their information and not lock us out, of our own account I presume,what do you all think should i provide our details? .
    Why is it that with all the technology available these morons can still access supposed private information.

  17. #17

    Wink Re: Commonwealth Bank

    Never ever give personal details over the internet

  18. #18

    Default Re: Commonwealth Bank

    Fab,really !
    what about to the nigerians,should i provide it to them.Just joking .but what I find amazing is how many people fall for that scheme ,even with all the information available almost daily.

    Recently in our area people were asked to confirm their details over the phone,so seeing that the caller had the personal details such as name,I`m not sure but maybe address,and credit card number they were lulled into a sense of security and also confirmed the pin number,voila job done.The all thing started with the person saying they were from the bank and an unusual transaction had occured on their credit card and thats how they got them.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Commonwealth Bank

    Quote Originally Posted by visual
    Fab,really !
    what about to the nigerians,should i provide it to them.Just joking .but what I find amazing is how many people fall for that scheme ,even with all the information available almost daily.

    Recently in our area people were asked to confirm their details over the phone,so seeing that the caller had the personal details such as name,I`m not sure but maybe address,and credit card number they were lulled into a sense of security and also confirmed the pin number,voila job done.The all thing started with the person saying they were from the bank and an unusual transaction had occured on their credit card and thats how they got them.
    This is just so awful. It's OK for us to feel people should never do this, but some old person who gets a phone call from the bank from some convincing sounding conperson, can simply feel shocked that something untoward may have happened with their bank account which means simply everything to them, and they are totally vulnerable to just providing the asked for information. Many of them just don't appreciate that, compared to when they were young, the world is highly populated with amoral creeps who will do literally anything to further their own ends (usually a drug habit) and arecompletely without concern for their victim.

    Julia

  20. #20

    Default Re: Commonwealth Bank

    Julia,including the credit card scheme with the nigerian scheme was a bit harsh I know,but my intention was to show the depths these morons will go to to get what they want

    Admittedly I had to think twice about the credit card scheme.

Similar Threads

  1. CBA - Commonwealth Bank of Australia
    By stefan in forum Stocks A-H
    Replies: 497
    Last Post: 26th-August-2014, 06:18 PM
  2. Customers could recover $20,000 if Australian bank collapses
    By metric in forum General Investment and Economics
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 31st-March-2008, 11:44 AM
  3. Bank of England cuts benchmark rate
    By moneymajix in forum International Markets
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 7th-February-2008, 11:28 PM
  4. US Bank Giving Workers Money
    By ajoz in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18th-December-2007, 06:42 PM
  5. Fear grips the Reserve Bank
    By wayneL in forum General Investment and Economics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 5th-August-2006, 01:07 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Aussie Stock Forums