I have a rather large gum tree (about 25 metres high) at the front of the house. 3 of them actually.
Unfortunately one of them, the one in the middle, is growing "mushrooms". Based on my internet research I think they could be a root rotting fungus which will completely destroy the tree.
If that's the case then I will get the tree felled ASAP. It would completely flatten the house if it fell. But the trees are something of a local landmark - visible on the skyline up to 10km away and featured in the Mercury (main newspaper here in Hobart) with their christmas lights on twice in the past 3 years. They are also home to numerous possums and birds. So I don't want to chop them down if it's not really necessary. If it is a bad fungus then presumably it will have spread to both of the other trees as well.
Anyone know anything about this?