Quantcast
Benefits of ETF in SMSF as opposed to Superannuation fund - Aussie Stock Forums

Default Benefits of ETF in SMSF as opposed to Superannuation fund

Hi,

Currently have our superannuation in one the big firms.

I have read a little about how the SMSF fund is set up and functions.
    Rather than paying x% fees with super fund, how does this compare to the costs/effort of running a SMSF with just a couple of ETF's?

Looking at buying and holding a representative portfolio and letting it compound.

Will only get taxed 15% on income, and nothing on capital gains until i sell?

Default Re: Benefits of ETF in SMSF as opposed to Superannuation fund

Quote Originally Posted by goponcho View Post
    Hi,

Rather than paying x% fees with super fund, how does this compare to the costs/effort of running a SMSF with just a couple of ETF's?

Looking at buying and holding a representative portfolio and letting it compound.

So when you say Superannuation fund you mean "industry super" and you are now thinking about setting up an SMSF ( both are super funds hence this clarification)

It depends upon few factors
    - Size of SMSF you wish to establish and it's ratio to the fixed fees of establishing it and compare those with the fees you are currently paying and do you think you can do better than the professionals?
    - What you want to do with the SMSF funds? only shares/ ETF etc or Property also?
    - The tax is same if it is industry super or SMSF
    - If you do establish a SMSF for shares / etf trading, just make sure your Trustee Deed covers all sort of investment possibilities

Thanks for the reply, that is what i meant, comparing it to an industry superfund.

I want to leave my money in ETF's to try and reduce the costs associated with management.
    Am only 30 years, and will be managing my wife's money too, so the amount should materially grow and i am guessing the fixed setup costs will be exceeded by the savings on management fees.

Hi goponcho, I am not trying to push a particular product but I have my super with ING Living Super.

With them you can buy and sell ASX top 300 stocks, LIC's and ETF's and the costs may be well lower than running a SMSF. For something like you said "leave my money in ETF's to try and reduce the costs associated with management" this ING account might well suit you.

I pay: $25 per Month to have the above facility + I then pay between .2% and .35% depending on the ETF, + brokerage for buys and sells.

Now lets use an example. If you have say 200K in ETF's then this will cost you, $25 x 12 = $300 + say .25% average MER = $500, + say 10 trades a year @ $20 per trade or .13% = $200 (minimum) = $1,000 per year

They do all tax reporting and auditing. All you do is allocate your funds. There are some rules and regulations as to what you can do so please read the PDS first.

Website here:https://www.ingdirect.com.au/superan...ing-super.html

Share Trading and ETF list here: https://www.ingdirect.com.au/superan...etfs-lics.html

Good luck.
    There's one thing we have learnt from history, it's that we don't learn from history.
    Nothing I say is a recommendation or advise, do your own research.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
    Hi goponcho, I am not trying to push a particular product but I have my super with ING Living Super.

With them you can buy and sell ASX top 300 stocks, LIC's and ETF's and the costs may be well lower than running a SMSF. For something like you said "leave my money in ETF's to try and reduce the costs associated with management" this ING account might well suit you.

I pay: $25 per Month to have the above facility + I then pay between .2% and .35% depending on the ETF, + brokerage for buys and sells.

Now lets use an example. If you have say 200K in ETF's then this will cost you, $25 x 12 = $300 + say .25% average MER = $500, + say 10 trades a year @ $20 per trade or .13% = $200 (minimum) = $1,000 per year

They do all tax reporting and auditing. All you do is allocate your funds. There are some rules and regulations as to what you can do so please read the PDS first.

Website here:https://www.ingdirect.com.au/superan...ing-super.html

Share Trading and ETF list here: https://www.ingdirect.com.au/superan...etfs-lics.html

Good luck.
    I was going to suggest similar, meaning there might be some industry super which allows such "Internal freedom" to choose !

Thanks for the suggestions
    Will have a bit of a read, of which i havent done enough about this

short- to medium-term trader pixel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goponcho View Post
    Hi,

First thing you should know about ETFs: How much do they siphon off via management fees?
    You may easily pay as much or more than if you left your money with a Superfund Manager.
    I was quite astounded when I came across this article:
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the...dist=bigcharts
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Innate Stupidity.