Here is my 2 cents worth .. dont know what other's think
-First I am not from taxi industry so no vested interest.
- Competition is good for consumer as long as it is safe and legal
- I am looking at it as both as a consumer + part of a balanced fair society
1) Lets start with one of the main claims by one of the biggest apps on ABC Radio 612 recently he said "We are not a Taxi company but an alternative to the Taxi Industry"
WTF??? what is the diff between booking a paid ride by hailing a taxi from the street or via a online platform?
So to me for all practical purposes Independent Taxi's + dispatch company = Taxi industry is that not same as Independent Car owners + a mobile app = Taxi Industry
2) Lets assume this Ride share app company was good honest company ...So why on earth they did not try and get in to the Legal Taxi Industry FROM DAY ONE? not as a afterthought! imagine a large transport company one day decides to get in to the legal taxi industry they would have to put in all the infrastructure and get "proper approval" They did not do that carried on under the nose of the law... so how fair dink-um was that?
They operate under this all over the world
3) Sad part is the Left wing govt instead of keeping the standards high seems to have "Lowered" the standards? claiming to have leveled the playing field. so NO need for CCTV snaps in the "Ride share app" like taxis have
4) On the other hand the Conservative opposition who is supposed to be champion of small business does not seems to care about thousands of Taxi Licence holders who are "Small businesses"
5) Do we want to turn Australian transport industry in to a tout ridden unsafe "Free for All" scrum to the finish!
6) What is next ..
" An APP for aged care? so can that anybody and everybody can start "providing Aged care" without any scrutiny or thin scrutiny
" An APP for Fin advice? so can that anybody and everybody can start "providing Financial advice" without any scrutiny or thin scrutiny?
" An APP for Civil engineers ? so can that anybody and everybody can start "providing Bridge design services " without any scrutiny or thin scrutiny?
People get smitten now a days with anything that involves the word "Technology" without thinking through the concequences!
One big mishap and all this craze will get a kick in the backside it deserves.
The only good thing that has come out of all this is perhaps a wake up call to the Taxi Industry I hope they improve their service.