Hi everyone I have a decision to make. I only started investing recently and I jumped into the market with unlucky timing about 4-5months ago. My portfolio is ETFs approx 35% US large/small cap / 35% europe and asia / 30% US aggregate bonds. I live overseas and get paid in a currency pegged to the USD. My long-term plan is to create a balance of equities + property investments. I decided to get a share portfolio rolling first and then shift gears and save for the deposit on an investment property. I'm in saving mode right now for the IP. With the recent correction though, in hindsight it turns out this was probably an unlucky wrong decision, I'm down 10% but now have an opportunity to purchase at much reduced prices.
I understand that a share portfolio works most effectively in the long run if rebalancing is conducted. If I decide to put all my savings towards the property side right now and I do not take advantage of the lower prices following the correction, my long term gains on the portfolio will likely suffer. However this will delay my ability to save for a deposit on a property (looking in the 350-450k range). The aussie dollar is down also so any forex into AUD is pretty sweet at present.
What do people recommend? Shift focus back to the share portfolio and rebalance as required, or continue to save as quickly as possible for an IP?