Quantcast
Buying a smart phone: which is best, what to look for? - Aussie Stock Forums

Default Buying a smart phone: which is best, what to look for?

Iím not very tech savvy and looking for a new phone with a decent size screen and zippy performance so I can browse the net and pick up email but with so much choice and some phones getting close to 4 figures what do ASF members recommend as a good and reasonably priced smart phone.

I donít need the latest release and im not brand or image concerned, doubt the camera will get much use, its more a speedy browsing experience im after as well as taking calls and checking email, im assuming it would be best to go for a 4G phone, is it really essential though?.

Currently looked at the LG G2, was thinking about buying from an online retailer like Kogan but salesman at the local retailer I spoke to said stay well clear as the phones are from Hong Kong and not optimised for the Australian market so will not work as well and I would have ongoing problems, is this correct or just sales talk to get you scared into buying the phone from them?.

Any info or recommendations appreciated

Default Re: Buying a smart phone advice, which is best, what to look for etc

Hi , about a year ago I bought a brand new unlocked Nokia Lumina 710. Got it for around $130 off ebay.
    The phone runs on Windows 7 software .
    I was sick of sucking up to Apple and their software for music, I find the Zune software for music really easy to use as it's compatible with Windows on the laptop. Drop and drag albums and tracks into you phone it's that easy.Also great for getting photos from your laptop as well.
    I had had some bad experiences with Android as a lot of apps are still based for asian use.
    There are now a few new models in the Nokia Lumia phones range now. I find it great for my email , browsing is fast , and the phone is very user friendly as I'm no tech guru Lots of sensible truly useful apps as well.
    Nokia maps and the built in GPS are also way better than any Apple maps.
    Like you I didn't want to pay through the nose for phone , this phone is truly great value

The only downside you will have to change to a micro sim card if you don't use one currently. But depending on your provider , you can keep your old number.

http://www.nokia.com/au-en/phones/ph...pecifications/

Default Re: Buying a smart phone advice, which is best, what to look for etc

What's your price range?

Grab a Nexus 5.
    http://www.google.com.au/nexus/5/

It's pretty much the phone you mentioned, the LG G2, with slightly different specs.

The Nexus 5 is $399 - OUTRIGHT. No contract. Which is a ripper of a deal.

Then slap in a cheap MVNO SIM card, and hey presto.

Someone like Live Connected / Vaya (Optus), LycaMobile (Telstra) or Hello Mobile (Voda).

If your after something cheaper - try here - Mobicity (Link)

I've ordered a few mobiles from there. Tried a Nokia Lumina - great build quality but I just didn't like the Windows software. I'm currently using a Sony Xperia series mobile.

Default Re: Buying a smart phone: which is best, what to look for?

Thanks for the replies the Nexus 5 was on my list and within the $500 budget, but one of the phones that the sales rep had told me not too get when I asked if they stocked it and pointed me to the LG G2 which is similar but $150 more, along with imports of other brands they are not optimised for Australia I was told, but im sceptical about this, could be true but not being tech savvy im not sure how?.

I could get a phone on a plan but seeing as my monthly bill on Vodafone no plan is usually around $5 and I get a 500MB data pack added for $5, going on a plan seems like throwing money away and unless your spend is over $50 most smartphones are not subsidised that much so you pay an additional $10+ over 24 months

The link to mobicity has a ASUS ZenFone 6 8GB which is $330 and has a 6inch screen, but its an import from Hong Kong and its not 4G, but will this be something I should have as a priority?, again it was suggested I should look to get 4G if I want the phone to be good and up to speed for a few years with the ever changing technoledgy.

Haven’t looked at the Nokias but will today, so thanks for the feedback and link

Quote Originally Posted by Panaman View Post
    Thanks for the replies the Nexus 5 was on my list and within the $500 budget, but one of the phones that the sales rep had told me not too get when I asked if they stocked it and pointed me to the LG G2 which is similar but $150 more, along with imports of other brands they are not optimised for Australia I was told, but im sceptical about this, could be true but not being tech savvy im not sure how?
    Sales Rep.
    The Nexus 5 is fine here. I have family members using 'em.

Blog Entries

FYI, for those not liking apple, a couple of good things...

For music, I've started using Spotify. Great app...

Also, instead of iTunes I now use CopyTrans for transferring files to my iPad. Much easier to use and I can move my stuff around to as many devices as I want...

Please don't listen to this dishonest sales rep.

If you buy a phone off Kogan or MobiCity, and get the exact same model at an Australian bricks-and-mortal retailer, the only difference will be in the price you pay. One bought 'optimised' for Australia isn't going to run any better or faster than one bought from Kogan.

I'm just adding to my previous post , If buying a phone off e-bay or the net . Make sure it's Aussie stock in Australia. For instance the Nokia I mentioned has allot of international sellers in Hong Kong ect . Some are also locked to American providers ect. So it's an Aussie seller and Aussie stocked items or go local.

Thanks for all the advice.

Just ordered the Nexus 5 16 GB direct from Google at $399 pus $20 postage.

Crazy thing is you can buy it from Aussie retailers but they charge around $570, even the guy in JB HIFI, said itís a good phone, but I didnít tell you this but buy it direct not from us, Kogan who say they are about the cheapest when it comes to phones are also more expensive, go figure???

Nexus 5 arrived last Monday, lovely phone, easy to use, beautiful screen, lightning fast on the internet, loads up quicker than my mates Samsung Galaxy S5, even he was impressed and for less than half its price.

Thanks again DB008 for the recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Panaman View Post
    Nexus 5 arrived last Monday, lovely phone, easy to use, beautiful screen, lightning fast on the internet, loads up quicker than my mates Samsung Galaxy S5, even he was impressed and for less than half its price.

Thanks again DB008 for the recommendation
    No problem.

Nexus 5 was a good choice

The LG G2 has better battery life and a bigger / better screen. Essentially almost the same phone as both are made by LG

An alternative for other readers is the MOTO G - an absolutely fantastic phone for around $200, seriously fantastic for this price, but battery life is not as awesome as the G2 (which is practically the class leader)

MW