( First attempt at posting, sorry for irregularity in appearance)
24 October 2005
QuantiFERON®-TB Gold Current Procedural Terminology (CPT®) Code Published
The American Medical Association (AMA) has published the Current Procedural Terminology (CPT®) code book for 2006, which includes a new classification code for QuantiFERON®-TB Gold. Previously, QuantiFERON®-TB Gold has been classified as an Emerging Technology and hence was assigned a Category III code.
However, in the new 2006 CPT® code book, QuantiFERON®-TB Gold has been classified as a Category I procedure/service.
The new CPT® code is:
• 86480: tuberculosis test, cell-mediated immunity measurement of gamma interferon antigen response
Upon review by the AMA CPT® Advisory Committee and Editorial Panel, aCategory I classification is assigned to services/procedures that have met thefollowing requirements:
• that the service/procedure receives approval from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the specific use of devices or drugs
• that the service/procedure is performed across the country in multiple locations
• that many physicians or other health care professionals perform the service/procedure,and
• the clinical efficacy of the service/procedure has been well established and documented.
A CPT® code for QuantiFERON®-TB Gold allows physicians to be reimbursed forcosts associated with performing a tuberculosis test. The lab fee schedule,which will define the reimbursement rate for this code, is expected to be available later in the year.
CPT® is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association
(Cellestis website /News)