Anti Cancer Foods - Aussie Stock Forums

Default Anti Cancer Foods

Here's some food for thought:

Tomatoes. Besides loads of vitamin C, tomatoes are one of the richest sources of the flavenoid lycopene - which gives them their red colour - which has shown to defend, in study after study, against cancers of the lungs, cervix, prostate and mouth.

Blueberries. In addition to plenty of flavenoids - the rich pigment of the berries - which has repeatedly shown to protect against several cancers

Red Cabbage, Red Beets. All cabbages - including their kin broccoli, cauliflower, kale, brussel sprouts bok choy, and so forth - are not only rich in calcium, but recent research has shown that they are also extremely rich in anti-cancer flavenoids

Spinach. Also one of the "dark" vegetables, spinach is also a rich source of vitamin C, beta-carotene - both are potent antioxidants - as well as folic acid, it has been found that people who include two or more servings of spinach per week in their nutrition have considerably lower lung and breast cancer rates.

Garlic. The sulphur compounds that give it its strong flavour have now been shown to protect against cancer by neutralizing carcinogens and slowing tumor growth. In a recent Iowa Women's Health study, investigators found that women who consume garlic at least once a week also have a 32% lower incidence of breast cancer.

Whole Wheat.
    In a recent study at the University of Iowa, scientist found that the more whole grain there is in a woman's diet, the lower her risk of breast cancer, as well as heart disease. In this study, as well as an analysis of 40 other studies on 20 kinds of cancer, investigators established that consumers of whole wheat products (bread, pasta, cereals) have a 33% lower risk of these diseases than those who do not eat whole wheat products.

Oranges. Already well known for their high vitamin C content, much recent research in the food sciences has shown that oranges are also rich in many other potent anti-cancer compounds. Investigators have now found that oranges contain more than 170 photochemicals, including more than 20 from the potent carotenoid family alone. In addition, compounds called limonoids - which give citrus fruit their slightly bitter taste - appear to be highly active anti-cancer agents as well. Regular consumption of oranges is associated with significantly lower lung and stomach cancers.

Strawberries. In a study tracking the diet and health of 1.271 people, researchers at the Harvard School of Health found that people who love strawberries have a 70% lower incidence of cancer.

Beans. Much recent research in the food sciences has established that all kinds of beans are loaded with protease inhibitors, compounds that make it hard for cancer cells to invade adjacent tissue. Fava beans contain much herein, which has shown to block carcinogens in the digestive tract. And soy beans are especially rich in isoflavones, which appears to reduce the risk of breast cancer by blocking the tumor-growing influence of estrogen.

Default Re: Anti Cancer Foods

aren't tomatoes better if they are cooked? it releases something in them?

Quote Originally Posted by matty77 View Post
    aren't tomatoes better if they are cooked? it releases something in them?
    Yes, processed tomatoes like canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, etc contain even more lycopene because cooking breaks down cell walls, releasing and concentrating carotenoids. Eating tomatoes with a small amount of fat enables lycopene to be better absorbed.

I'm not disputing any of the claims made about various foods, but wonder if it's a bit simplistic to suggest that if e.g. you eat x serves per week of x food you will automatically reduce your chance of developing x type of cancer.

I think we all accept that a healthy diet increases our likelihood of being overall well and healthy.

Similarly, that a crappy diet e.g. fastfood several times a week, inadequate levels of fresh fruit and vegetables, is almost certainly going to result in some adverse health outcomes.

So I'm not sure how researchers can be sure that people who favour e.g. strawberries and spinach over chips and hamburgers can validly conclude that x food is what specifically reduces incidence of cancer.

You'd also fairly reasonably assume that people who eat a nutritionally sound range of foods will also be motivated to keep up good exercise levels, not drink excessive amounts of alcohol, or smoke/use drugs.

There would have to be some very substantial longitudinal double blind studies involving many thousands of people imo before some the definitive sounding claims made could be considered valid.

This list is all over the net
    But none of the postings I have seen ever link back to these studies mentioned in the text
    So very hard to verify Just what was originally stated.
    Or if there was a study in the first place
    ( If you have the links I would be interested in what they said seeing these %s seem large )

Some of these things also contain harmful substances as well

Phytates Oxalates saponins Solanine etc
    and Gluten

Agree with Julia.

Drink and Smoke have a family history of cancers and do little or no exercise and eat all the good foods and you'll likely become a very healthy Cancer patient.

Exclamation Re: Anti Cancer Foods

It is ironic that the enzyme that has been proven to enable immortal cell division(mitosis) telomerase http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telomerase also stimulates cancerous cell growth.

Microbiologists have established that once certain cells reach the hayflick limit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayflick_limit they then cease mitosis and the aging process commences.

If researchers can find a way to enable immortal mitosis through application of telomerase without the associated cancerous cell mitosis we are all going to be living a lot longer and whoever finds it first is going to be very very very wealthy!

An Australian researcher from Tasmania Elizabeth Blackburn won the nobel prize for her research on the topic.

She is now based in the US and that is where the pointy end of the research is being conducted.

Just thought i'd throw this in amongst the eat your greens 20th century type of wisdom.

Personally I'm sceptical that what food group you consume has an effect on malignant cell mitosis.

Traditional wisdom is that lots of vitamin C will help prevent colds and flu. personally i don't eat that many oranges but I get a flu shot every year and haven't had so much as a sniffle in so long I can't remember.

I'm just a little sceptical on the endless studies on food groups from our learned colleagues in white coats in academia i guess.

Last edited by Slipperz; 18th-December-2010 at 05:09 PM.

From your link Slipperz ( and the levels were most likely not that optimum. But just less
    insufficient )

Systemic telomere length and aging

Peripheral blood leukocyte telomere length is the generally preferred measure of systemic telomere length. Systemic telomere length has been proposed as a marker of biological aging. A subject's systemic telomere length is predominantly genetically determined, but has several other known determinants: age (shorter telomeres in older people), paternal age at birth (longer telomeres in subjects with older fathers at their birth), and sex (shorter telomeres in men, probably due to a faster telomere attrition). Evidence suggests that elevated levels of oxidative stress and inflammation further increase the telomere attrition rate.[18]

Vitamin D may have an effect on peripheral blood leukocyte telomere length. Richards and coworkers examined whether vitamin D concentrations would slow the rate of shortening of leukocyte telomeres. The authors stated that vitamin D is a potent inhibitor of the proinflammatory response and slows the turnover of leukocytes. Leukocyte telomere length (LTL) predicts the development of aging-related disease, and the length of these telomeres decreases with each cell division and with increased inflammation. Researchers measured serum vitamin D concentrations in 2160 women, aged 18–79 years (mean age: 49.4), from a large population-based cohort of twins. This study divided the group into thirds, based on vitamin D levels, and found that increased age was significantly associated with shorter LTL (r = -0.40, P < 0.0001).

Higher serum vitamin D concentrations were significantly associated with longer LTL (r = 0.07, P = 0.0010) and this finding persisted even after adjustment for age (r = 0.09, P < 0.0001) and other variables that independently could affect LTL (age, season of vitamin D measurement, menopausal status, use of hormone replacement therapy, and physical activity). The difference in LTL between the highest and lowest tertiles of vitamin D was highly significant (P = 0.0009) and the authors stated that this was equivalent to 5.0 years of aging. The authors concluded that higher vitamin D levels, easily modifiable through nutritional supplementation, were associated with longer LTL

. This underscores the potentially beneficial effects of vitamin D on aging and age-related diseases.[19] Also, peer reviewed clinical studies indicate a relationship between regular exercise and the minimizing of telomere erosion in both mice and humans, at least in the leukocytes and blood vessel walls [20].
    And Cancer

This is like the Holy Grail of cancer medicine; vitamin D produced a drop in cancer rates greater than that for quitting smoking, or indeed any other countermeasure in existence.
    ~ Dennis Mangan, clinical laboratory scientist.

No other method to prevent cancer has been identified that has such a powerful impact.
    ~ Dr. Cedric Garland, Vitamin D expert.
    and yes D3 is a Nutrient.. A very essential one

Why “Vitamin D” is not a hormone, and not a synonym for
    1,25-dihydroxy-vitamin D, its analogs or deltanoids
    Reinhold Vieth∗

For most of the 20th century, there was no debate that Vitamin
    D was a nutrient. It was “the sunshine vitamin”, and
    I contend that we should maintain that perspective. A focus
    on a poor definition of the word, vitamin, in some dictionaries
    is no excuse to allow the misconception to continue,
    that Vitamin D might be regarded as a hormone instead of a
    nutrient. For reference, more rigorous definitions of words
    pertinent to vitamin and hormone are presented in Table 1.

It should be evident from this that Vitamin D is no more a
    hormone than cholesterol is—both are the structural raw material
    that one or more hormones are made from. Vitamin D
    is a vitamin in the truest sense of the word, because “insufficient
    amounts in the diet may cause deficiency diseases”.
    before Anything
    get this right

and some others a very close second

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperz View Post

An Australian researcher from Tasmania Elizabeth Blackburn won the nobel prize for her research on the topic.

She is now based in the US and that is where the pointy end of the research is being conducted.
    As are most other Australian researchers, due to the woeful level of government support for medical research by successive Australian governments.

Traditional wisdom is that lots of vitamin C will help prevent colds and flu.
    The megadoses of Vit c make no sense at all in that it's a water soluble vitamin and any amount which is surplus to the body's needsis simply excreted via the kidneys. Seems a stupid waste of money to be swallowing lots of exogenous Vit C just to pee it away.

personally i don't eat that many oranges but I get a flu shot every year and haven't had so much as a sniffle in so long I can't remember.
    I guess we need to remember that the 'flu is quite different from your common garden cold virus which isn't going to at all be helped or avoided by the flu injection.

I reckon (and I may be quite wrong) it has a lot more to do with (a) your basic general good health, and (b) how much you mingle in crowded situations, as to whether you contract either the flu or a cold.

I've had neither for about two decades but never have a flu shot.
    I consume as much vit c containing fruits and vegetables as I feel like, but no more.

Overall, I suspect we vulnerable human beings just like the idea of having some control over what happens to our bodies, so if we think by chomping on lots of spinach and strawberries we are going to ward off the evils of cancer, then we will self righteously enjoy doing this. Nothing wrong with that, but I think to place too much faith in the protective value of any foods is to delude ourselves.

I've known plenty of very fundamentally healthy people who exercise religiously and eat very nutritionally sound diets who have nonetheless fallen victim to not only cancer but various other unpleasant diseases.

Probably has more to do with our genes than anything else, but that's a very unscientific and personal observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Julia View Post
    I reckon (and I may be quite wrong) it has a lot more to do with (a) your basic general good health, and (b) how much you mingle in crowded situations, as to whether you contract either the flu or a cold.

Vitamin D again Julia... substantial amount of data on this ( google Vitamin D and Influenza.. Remember the innate immune system .. Is controlled by the Vitamin D system.. Same reason Sunshine cured Tuberculosis...

to play a major role in the proper function of the "innate" immune system in primates – an ancient, first line of defense against bacteria, viruses and other pathogens, in which the body recognizes something that probably doesn't belong there, even though the specific pathogen may never have been encountered before.

Vitamin D has two roles here. Both important

Several randomized controlled trials of vitamin D have suggested that the right dose of D may be as protective as most studies of the effectiveness of flu vaccines.
    Mass vaccination of our elderly has failed to reduce the rate of influenza hospitalization or death rate among the elderly.

However, I suspect that as flu vaccinations rates in the elderly went up in the last 30 years, acquired immune deficiency syndrome due to vitamin D deficiency also went up and the two canceled each other out. Remember, of all age groups, the elderly are most likely to avoid the sun.A very well written and exhaustive epidemiological study of vitamin D and the flu published last week from Norway, suggests vitamin D may be the major controlling factor in influenza epidemics and even most pandemics.

This lovely paper was written by Dr. Asta Juzeniene, with Dr. Johan Moan the senior author, both of the Oslo University Hospital. I am not just saying I liked it because they credited me with the discovery; it is a great paper.Juzeniene A, Ma LW, Kwitniewski M, Polev GA, Lagunova Z, Dahlback A, Moan J. The seasonality of pandemic and non-pandemic influenzas: the roles of solar radiation and vitamin D. Int J Infect Dis. 2010 Oct 28.They used data from all over the world, from the last 110 years, to show that influenza death rates go up as vitamin D producing UV light goes down. Furthermore the differences were staggering, with influenza death rates 20 to 600 times higher during months when vitamin D cannot be made in the skin.

While some of this is a direct "antibiotic" effect of vitamin D, some of it is likely due to vitamin D causing innate "herd immunity." The total vitamin D "effect size" hinted at in this Norwegian paper is staggering.
    more here

Here's a couple of interesting you tube videos on the research into anti aging one US company is doing

Almonds http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almonds
    Almonds are a rich source of vitamin E, containing 24 mg per 100 g.[19] They are also rich in mono-unsaturated fat, one of the two "good" fats responsible for lowering LDL cholesterol.

Claimed health benefits of almonds include improved complexion, improved movement of food through the colon (feces) and the prevention of cancer.[20] Recent research associates the inclusion of almonds in the diet with elevating the blood levels of high density lipoproteins and of lowering the levels of low density lipoproteins.[21][22]

A controlled trial showed that 73g of almonds in the daily diet reduced LDL cholesterol by as much as 9.4%, reduced the LDL:HDL ratio by 12.0%, and increased HDL-cholesterol (i.e., the good cholesterol) by 4.6%.[23]