The Hidden Magic of Cooking with Spices - Aussie Stock Forums

Default The Hidden Magic of Cooking with Spices

Tonight my wife who is a Hong Kong Chinese made one of our favourites - Beijing Duck. It was a little different this time as she used a recipe that her mum used to use, and hours later I still have a pleasant after taste of the spices used. This got me interested in the Chinese 5 spice mixture that she blended and the research yielded some intereting results.

Now my mum is a good cook, but a typical Australian meal of my childhood generally only had salt and pepper added with the ocassional curry made from a packaged curry powder mix.

Let's have a quick look at the Chinese 5 spice blend:

Star Anise:
    used in tea for rheumatism, aids digestion, contains "shikimic acid" which is used to create "Tamiflu"

contains "eugenol" which has antiseptic and anaesthetic properties, contains "methyl salicylate" which is used as a pain killer

used as a treatment for diarrhea and digestive problems, contains "Cinnamtannin B1" which has a therapeutic effect on Type 2 diabetes, activates the Nrf2-dependant antioxidant response in colon cells recognised as a chemopreventative therapy for colorectal carcinogenisis, contains "cinnamic aldehyde" an anti melanoma compound, reported that a teaspon of cinnamon contains as much antioxidant as a full cup of pomegranate juice and half a cup of blueberries.

Sichuan Pepper:
    used in Chinese medicine to alleviate abdominal pain, treat vomiting & diarrhea, used with "Ku Shen" for eczema and kills parasites

Fennel Seeds:
    contains "Anethole" which has potent antimicrobial properties, against bacteria, yeast, and fungi, has a compound that acts acts as a carminative which prevents formation of gas in the gastrointestinal tract, has been shown to be effective in treating glaucoma, is a source of phytoestrogens for improved milk supply in breastfeeding mothers, has been shown to be effective diuretic and a potential drug for treatment of hypertension

So the next time you have that Chinese meal at your local Golden Dragon resturant, you may find some comfort in thinking that is doing you more good than you think.

Default Re: The Hidden Magic of Cooking with Spices

Yep spices are great.

Tumeric being one of the most potent. It is antinflamatory,antioxidant,anti depressant and on and on.

Chilli raises your metabolism for 3 to 4 hours after meal and found to kill some cancers.

Mod: Call me Dendrobranchiata prawn_86's Avatar
    Los Angeles
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Hidden Magic of Cooking with Spices

My fiance loves cooking and regurlarly uses all sorts of spices be they asian, mediterranean or any sorts. She is alsways trying new interesting recipes (beer braised beef cheeks last night )