I think I prefer the old China.
The new china at a glance:
- corruption deeply entrenched in every aspect of society, especially big business and the ruling reds.
- female infanticide (the chinese all want boys to carry on the family name so a lot of the baby girls get dumped in the toilet or rice field).
- The baby trade is alive and well. Anything is available at a price.
- 50 deaths on average per week, yes per week, in unsafe mines
- horrific levels of pollution, and a virtual 'no-show' at the recent Copenhagen Climate Talks. The air in beijing is thick yellow disgusting filth.
- dissidents get bashed, jailed or killed for speaking out against the corrupt government. There's no judicial process, it's just "send around the officials". Someone today was sent to a hard labour camp for tweeting a totally innocent message that had an anti-government tone to it. Can't begin to imagine what torture Stern Hu is being subject to. These things are a regular occurrence.
- Horrific cruelty to animals in chinese zoos. Before the 2008 olympics, stray dogs were collected and hauled into huge pick up trucks still alive, dumped ontop of each other scrambling for air.
- the worlds biggest copying machine. Do they have anything original to offer the World? Foreign brands simply have to concede they can't win.
- a government hell-bent on money, status and power for its own end. It condones exploitation of the poor. How else can such massive wealth come to a country other than through exploitation of the underclass? Sweat shops abound. The poor are kept ignorant so that they are unable to learn how badly mis-treated they are. Stick your neck out and you may just disappear. Type the word "google" in your browser and big brother will be watching, you can bet on that.
- Businessmen traveling to china are made aware that anything they leave in a hotel room, such as a laptop, will likely have its contents copied. They are told never to leave personal stuff unattended.
So there you have it. What a wonderful country it used to be. Not any more. There's only so long a manipulative and controlling government can stay in power through sheer brutality and force. If it falls, it will be the biggest most bloody civil war in the planet's history. The only way it can be averted is if democracy is gradually implemented, safe work practices enforced and corruption properly dealt with.