The title was perhaps a tad misleading - I currently have no skills in trading. What I do have is a real interest.
- Business + Information Systems degree
- Currently work in a large non-financial company in forecasting/planning, a lot of the work revolves around creating/modifying and using Excel based models (which I find quite interesting, believe it or not)
- Own a small business creating iPhone applications
I also used to be heavily involved in online poker, so am familiar with various probability theories/terms which I see popping up in these trading forums. I also think I'm above average with arithmetic, but far from exceptional.
I'm hoping a knowledgeable good Samaritan could provide some information for me on any of the following:
- A good beginners book to learn all the terms/concepts (I've heard good things on "The Intelligent Investor"?
- Recommend an "area" of trading and/or some strategies that my pervious exp. may help in. I will be starting with low capital
- I'd prefere to specialise in a fairly risky/lucrative area of trading so advise there would be welcome too
- A good source of information on Australian tax laws and trading
And any other tips that can differentiate me from the reported 90% of sole traders who make a loss in this gig