Sharing the best net stories - Aussie Stock Forums

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Sharing the best net stories

Thought I would start a new thread that would encourage forum readers to post reviews and URLs to stories that they think would be exceptionally interesting to other readers.

After we get past the dross and the drivel on the net, there is some great stuff that can give us something to think about.

__________________________________________________ _________

What is happening to wild elephants? Around the world human pressure on animal habitats is putting enormous pressure on animals that have lived in peace for eons. Elephants in particular have seen their living spaces massively reduced in the last 100 years.

This story looks at the effect the loss of habitat has had on the social lives of elephants and rise of elephants killing people as well as a seemingly new phenomenon - bands of young elephants raping and killing rhinos. The whole story is eye opening. It is a striking example of what happens when established social networks break down.

Great read for your next dinner party.

An Elephant Crackup?

.....These were not isolated incidents. All across Africa, India and parts of Southeast Asia, from within and around whatever patches and corridors of their natural habitat remain, elephants have been striking out, destroying villages and crops, attacking and killing human beings. In fact, these attacks have become so commonplace that a new statistical category, known as Human-Elephant Conflict, or H.E.C., was created by elephant researchers in the mid-1990’s to monitor the problem. In the Indian state of Jharkhand near the western border of Bangladesh, 300 people were killed by elephants between 2000 and 2004. In the past 12 years, elephants have killed 605 people in Assam, a state in northeastern India, 239 of them since 2001; 265 elephants have died in that same period, the majority of them as a result of retaliation by angry villagers, who have used everything from poison-tipped arrows to laced food to exact their revenge. In Africa, reports of human-elephant conflicts appear almost daily, from Zambia to Tanzania, from Uganda to Sierra Leone, where 300 villagers evacuated their homes last year because of unprovoked elephant attacks.

Still, it is not only the increasing number of these incidents that is causing alarm but also the singular perversity — for want of a less anthropocentric term — of recent elephant aggression. Since the early 1990’s, for example, young male elephants in Pilanesberg National Park and the Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Game Reserve in South Africa have been raping and killing rhinoceroses; this abnormal behavior, according to a 2001 study in the journal Pachyderm, has been reported in ‘‘a number of reserves’’ in the region. In July of last year, officials in Pilanesberg shot three young male elephants who were responsible for the killings of 63 rhinos, as well as attacks on people in safari vehicles. In Addo Elephant National Park, also in South Africa, up to 90 percent of male elephant deaths are now attributable to other male elephants, compared with a rate of 6 percent in more stable elephant communities.

Default Re: Sharing the best net stories

Came across fascinating website which unfolds a summary of news from the 1930's on a day to day basis. I've attached a recent example.

The writer sees strong comparisons between 1930's and now.
    May 26, 2010
    Tuesday, May 26, 1931: Dow 132.87 -5.03 (3.6%)
    Assorted historical stuff:

Newfoundland faces grave crisis, with default on bonds apparently inevitable without British aid. Situation arose May 22 after failure to obtain underwriters for $8M bond issue. Bank of Montreal then refused govt. checks, and govt. depts. have been told to stop issuing them. Officials making frantic efforts to arrange loan to meet pressing obligations at end of June. National debt is now $90.3M for population of 265,000. Rumors of sale of Labrador denied.

Dr. S. Miller, Nat'l Assoc. of Credit Men exec. mgr., warns small businesses face an uphill battle due to easy money policies; these will widen the gap with large, financially solid concerns who can usually borrow funds much more easily than their smaller competitors.

Editorial in favor of Treasury Sec. Mellon's argument that the tax base must be broadened. Govt. revenue fluctuates too much depending on economic conditions; the govt. "is now in the position of a man whose income has been seriously reduced at the same time that his expenditures greatly increase." Income taxes are collected from a sliver of the population; about 380,000 people pay 97%. Revenues should be collected from a broader base; this would "serve as a check upon reckless spending" and make revenue less sensitive to economic conditions.

Thought this was an interesting story. The man behind the wiki-leaks website.

International man of mystery

April 10, 2010

Julian Assange, who is behind the website WikiLeaks, and right, frames from the US military video leaked to the site, showing the scene in Baghdad after soldiers fired on a group of men, killing two journalists.

The founder of WikiLeaks lives a secret life in the shadow of those who blow the whistle, writes Bernard Lagan.

Assange, an Australian who rarely makes public appearances and shuffles around the world with little more than a rucksack and a laptop, quickly dealt with his haughty inquisitor. Lean and tall with a handsome, distant face, long grey locks and dressed in a a dark suit, Assange, in his late 30s, is a commanding presence.

Thought this was an interesting story. The man behind the wiki-leaks website.

International man of mystery

April 10, 2010

Julian Assange, who is behind the website WikiLeaks, and right, frames from the US military video leaked to the site, showing the scene in Baghdad after soldiers fired on a group of men, killing two journalists.
    That was great... !

A potentially great thread here,thanks basilio.

Julian Assange...very interesting guy.Here he is on The Colbert Report.We should celebrate those who have the guts (and hopefully brains) to blow the whistle..

Last edited by Boyou; 28th-May-2010 at 06:23 PM.

A light hearted interview with Banksy the infamous "street artist". He has a movie coming out.

Drawn from the shadows, wanted man comes out to play

May 29, 2010

Banksy, the anonymous British street artist whose distinctive style of mischievous political graffiti adorns walls around the world from London to Palestine to Australia, doesn't "do" interviews.

The world's most anonymous public figure has famously remained silent but for the statements he makes with his art.

Until now.

Not so much a story but a great photographic series of the colourful wildlife from the canopy of rainforests in Panama and Brazil.

Guido Sterkendries: photographer observes wildlife from the canopy of rainforests in Panama and Brazil

Quite a good read. He probably would have got away with it if he had kept his mouth shut.

U.S. Intelligence Analyst Arrested in Wikileaks Video Probe

Federal officials have arrested an Army intelligence analyst who boasted of giving classified U.S. combat video and hundreds of thousands of classified State Department records to whistleblower site Wikileaks, Wired.com has learned.

He said he also leaked three other items to Wikileaks: a separate video showing the notorious 2009 Garani air strike in Afghanistan that Wikileaks has previously acknowledged is in its possession; a classified Army document evaluating Wikileaks as a security threat, which the site posted in March; and a previously unreported breach consisting of 260,000 classified U.S. diplomatic cables that Manning described as exposing “almost criminal political back dealings.”

Okay a bit of light relief in this succession of very worthy and sometimes obscure stories. (not the least mine..)

DID YOU KNOW that Michelle Obamas whitehouse veggie garden was causing obesity, starvation AND CANCER !!

Well check out this little interview by Samantha B from the Daily Show. ( At least it's better than fretting over TEOTWAWKI )

And while you wasting your time check out just how dangerous lesbians are to the moral fabric of America.

Last edited by basilio; 9th-June-2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Just for the sake of it

Something for the doomer.

Nasa warns solar flares from 'huge space storm' will cause devastation

Britain could face widespread power blackouts and be left without critical communication signals for long periods of time, after the earth is hit by a once-in-a-generation “space storm”, Nasa has warned.

National power grids could overheat and air travel severely disrupted while electronic items, navigation devices and major satellites could stop working after the Sun reaches its maximum power in a few years.

Senior space agency scientists believe the Earth will be hit with unprecedented levels of magnetic energy from solar flares after the Sun wakes “from a deep slumber” sometime around 2013, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.

“We know it is coming but we don’t know how bad it is going to be,” said Dr Richard Fisher, the director of Nasa's Heliophysics division.

“It will disrupt communication devices such as satellites and car navigations, air travel, the banking system, our computers, everything that is electronic. It will cause major problems for the world.

While scientists have previously told of the dangers of the storm, Dr Fisher’s comments are the most comprehensive warnings from Nasa to date.

Dr Fisher, 69, said the storm, which will cause the Sun to reach temperatures of more than 10,000 F (5500C), occurred only a few times over a person’s life.

Every 22 years the Sun’s magnetic energy cycle peaks while the number of sun spots – or flares – hits a maximum level every 11 years.

Dr Fisher, a Nasa scientist for 20 years, said these two events would combine in 2013 to produce huge levels of radiation.

He said large swathes of the world could face being without power for several months, although he admitted that was unlikely.

Follow up on the previous stories about wiki leaks. This could make a good movie and book deal.

Wanted by the US: WikiLeaks founder keeps his head down

June 14, 2010

IT READS like a James Bond novel: an enigmatic white-haired computer hacker; a soldier turned whistleblower; secret government correspondence; and the world's most powerful country desperate to contain the situation.

Julian Assange, the Australian-born face of the web iconoclast WikiLeaks, is in hiding overseas after the US military arrested one of its own soldiers, Bradley Manning, and accused him of leaking a a secret video of a US Army helicopter gunning down civilians in Iraq in 2007.

The video was released on Wikileaks this year, and the US is now desperate to find Mr Assange before he leaks thousands of hugely embarrassing state diplomatic cables, which are believed to discuss the Middle East, its governments and leaders.

Interesting find!

Kokoda reveals a secret, 70 years on

* Anne Barrowclough
    * June 10, 2010 8:50AM

AFTER hours of trekking through the steaming jungle in the heart of Papua New Guinea, Brian Freeman finally reached his destination.

Walking through the rising mist into a large clearing he was confronted by the remains of a Japanese soldier, still wearing his helmet, slumped against the tree where he had fallen in battle nearly 70 years ago. The man's boots lay near by and only a few yards away were piles of ammunition, Australian machineguns, Japanese shells and hand grenades.

Everywhere he looked, the explorer saw helmets, boots, waterbottles - and bones - scattered in the foliage.

Mr Freeman, a former soldier with the Australian Defence Force, had found the lost battlefield of Eora Creek, the site of the costliest battle of Australia's campaign against Japan in Papua New Guinea. "It was like walking into a living museum," Mr Freeman said yesterday, before starting another trek back to the site.

"I thought we might just a find a couple of old weapons but there were guns, mines, helmets, waterbottles. It was incredibly emotional knowing that you were looking at items that had been dropped as those Japanese and Australian soldiers lost their lives. And the dead lay just where they had fallen or were laid by their comrades.

"It was as if the battle had just happened."

sorry this is a bit long

This Helmet is like brand new. I bought it for my wife, but it's tosmall for her big fat head.You know, it was all a big lie right fromthe beginning. I asked her if she liked bikes, (i've been riding sincei was 9 years old.) She's like "Yeah, I love Motorcycles, they'regreat!" Now, i'm thinking to myself, this chicks cool, she's hot, hasbig boobs, and loves motorcycles. I gotta snag this one upquick.Little did i know that as soon as i gave her the engagementring, all that would change. First, it was a subtle hint, you know,that the wedding's going to be expensive, and that that band costsjust as much as my motorcycle. With all these wedding plans going on,i hardly have time to ride my bike. I'm schleping all over the statelooking at reception halls, listening to cheesy wedding bands, andpicking out floral arrangements. She brings up the fact that i havn'tridden my bike in a while now, (No kidding!! She won't let me out ofher sight for more than 5 minutes!) and that maybe i should sell it.Now, that brings a whole lot of tension into the situation. I'm likeno way! Then i notice that our sex life has reduced dramatically. Aman has gotta do, what he's gotta do, so, i sell the bike, thinkingthat things will get better. She promises me, that as soon as we getmarried, she'll get a good job, and then i can get another bike. Weget married, and we're having sex everyday. Life is good. The Evil Oneis looking for work for like, 6 months. I find it hard to believe thatshe can't find a damn job, but who am i to say? She's just holding outfor that Management position she says. To be quite honest, i reallydon't care, she's cleaning my pipes better than Roto Rooter. Then thekicker�She tells me she's pregnant. All the while i thought she wason the pill! I ask her how this happened, and she said the pill gaveher facial hair. (I really couldn't see a difference, after all she isItalian). Fast Foward 9 months�i'm out breaking my back doing manuallabor, she's a big, fat, hairy lipped beach ball, with the dispositionof a rabid Pit Bull. Nothing i say, or do is good enough for her. Theday she gave birth, i thought again, that things will change for thebetter. WRONG!! Now everythings about the baby. Me, i'm second fiddle.Sex life? Ha! The only time i get some action is when i see her breastfeeding the little bastard! I'm going crazy, at least if i had amotorcycle, i could take out some of my frustration. Even the guys atwork notice how miserable i've been. One day, my partner rolls up on abrand new bike. I wanted to commit suicide. He knows how bad i wantedanother bike. He see's the look in my eye, and asks me if i would liketo take it out for a spin Friday night. It was truly the first time ilit up since marrying that bitch. Friday rolls around, i cash mycheck, and head on over to my partners house. I cruise around for awhile, and end up at this little bar on the edge of town. I head up tothe bar, place my helmet on it, and order a beer. I look over and seethis little hottie chatting it up with her friends. I notice that theeye contact is getting more and more frequent. After a few moreminutes, she walks over to me and tells me she just loves motorcycles.That they get her "excited". I ask her if she wants to go for a ride.Her beautifully full lips widen with a pearly white smile. I take thatas a yes. I grab her by the hand, and lead her to the bike. She strapson the spare helmet that was on the bike, and away we go. We ride forhours. She taps me on the shoulder, and tells me her apartment is onthe next block. Would i want to stop in for a while and have anotherbeer. Who am i to say no? I watch her lead the way, and i can't keepmy eyes off of her tight lil' behind. I think back to the days whenold hippo ass looked like this. Well, once upstairs, one beer turnedinto two, and so on. The next thing i know, i'm in bed with her, andshe was amazing! It was the best expierence i have ever had. Rightthen i had an epiphany. I had to be happy. I wasn't going to live amiserable existance for the rest of my life and something had to bedone. Long story short, i left my hairy beast of a wife. (She's donegood since i left. She remarried an Appliance salesman named Harold.)While i was moving out, i came across the helmet. I don't ever want tobe reminded of my miserable past life, so please, make a bid. I have amotorcycle payment to make! The helmet has no scratches, size MED andi would rate it a 9 out of 10 Winning bidder to Pay with PAYPAL ONLY.Winning Bidder to pay all Shipping costs. I ship UPS ONLY. No Zero orNegative Feedback Bidders

Okay I'm totally bored and procrastinating madly. But this complaint to Virgin Airlines has to be worth the slacking off.

Virgin: the world's best passenger complaint letter?
    Here we reproduce a complaint letter sent to Sir Richard Branson, which is currently being emailed globally and is considered by many to be the world's funniest passenger complaint letter.

I love the Virgin brand, I really do which is why I continue to use it despite a series of unfortunate incidents over the last few years. This latest incident takes the biscuit.

Ironically, by the end of the flight I would have gladly paid over a thousand rupees for a single biscuit following the culinary journey of hell I was subjected to at thehands of your corporation.

Look at this Richard. Just look at it: [see image 1, above].

I imagine the same questions are racing through your brilliant mind as were racing through mine on that fateful day. What is this? Why have I been given it? What have I done to deserve this? And, which one is the starter, which one is the desert?

You don’t get to a position like yours Richard with anything less than a generous sprinkling of observational power so I KNOW you will have spotted the tomato next to the two yellow shafts of sponge on the left. Yes, it’s next to the sponge shaft without the green paste. That’s got to be the clue hasn’t it. No sane person would serve a desert with a tomato would they. Well answer me this Richard, what sort of animal would serve a desert with peas in: [see image 2, above].

China... the land of hope and dreams?

Meet Zhang Xin, China's self-made billionairess

From a poor childhood under Chairman Mao to the world's top 10 self-made women, Chinese tycoon Zhang Xin talks money, success and family.

Zhang Xin spent her childhood in a grim five-storey block on the outskirts of Beijing, eating canteen-produced rice from an iron bowl alongside other offspring of toiling Chinese workers.

As a teenager she became a factory worker herself, turning 12-hour shifts in the fire-trap sweatshops of Hong Kong, desperate for every extra dollar she could save.

But by the age of 20, she had earned a Hong Kong passport and enough money to fly to Britain - where, helped by scholarships and grants, she won a university place first at Sussex, then at Cambridge to complete a masters degree.

Now, two hard-working decades later, Zhang gazes out from the top floor of one of Beijing's most stylish modern buildings, with the confidence that comes from knowing that she is not just one of China's richest self-made women, but one of the richest in the world.

A ludicrously botched bank robbery leads to the question, Can you be too incompetent to understand just how incompetent you are?

The Anosognosic’s Dilemma: Something’s Wrong but You’ll Never Know What It Is (Part 1)

Dunning and Kruger argued in their paper, “When people are incompetent in the strategies they adopt to achieve success and satisfaction, they suffer a dual burden: Not only do they reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the ability to realize it. Instead, like Mr. Wheeler, they are left with the erroneous impression they are doing just fine.”

It became known as the Dunning-Kruger Effect — our incompetence masks our ability to recognize our incompetence. But just how prevalent is this effect? In search of more details, I called David Dunning at his offices at Cornell:

Quote Originally Posted by overit View Post
    A ludicrously botched bank robbery leads to the question, Can you be too incompetent to understand just how incompetent you are?
    Yes ...... I deal with many people like this every day of my life. Ya just gotta wonder some days. One instance:- I was on a building site and was watching a man use a power saw. He unplugged it and used the power lead to run another power tool. He then picked up the power saw and tried to use it. It didn't work. He bought the tool over to me to tell me it was faulty. (He was serious) I asked him if I could have a go. Sneeringly he questioned my ability to operate such a piece of equipment. I plugged it in. It worked fine. Not an isolated incident I might add.

Quote Originally Posted by trainspotter View Post
    I plugged it in. It worked fine. Not an isolated incident I might add.
    I can believe it. I worked as a hotel maintenance man for a few years. If I had a dollar for every time I "fixed" something by turning it on I could retire.

I thought most of university was a waste of time! PROOF! LOL!

Can playing Warcraft make you a better boss?

HOW did Stephen Gillett go from college graduate to the youngest ever chief information officer of a Fortune 500 company in less than six years?

By playing World of Warcraft, says the Silicon Valley guru who gave him his first job.

Less than half a dozen years after being hired by John Hagel III for a hi-tech startup, Gillett became a senior vice-president and chief information officer for Starbucks.

Hagel says Gillett learned everything he needed to know for a career in business by corralling and directing people as a guild leader in the popular online multiplayer game Warcraft.

At the Wharton Leadership Conference in Philadelphia, Hagel said that Gillett — like other top players of the game, which has an estimated 8 million participants — reached out independently to build a large team of allies and solve complex problems.

Very cool!

Terrafugia Transition 'flying car' gets go-ahead from US air authorities.

The Terrafugia Transition, a light aircraft that can convert into a road-legal automobile, is to go into production after being given a special weight exemption by the US Federal Aviation Administration.