How do they find 'em? - Aussie Stock Forums

Default How do they find 'em?

(If this is too long, just read the last couple of paragraphs)

I'm pretty new at the the whole sharemarket thing. I've been reading a bit and doing a bit of paper trading before I decide to pile in my own money. My paper trading is not doing brilliantly - I started in November 2009. Its about 6% up which in itself doesn't seem to bad, but against the index, doesn't seem that good.
    The problem is that most of the 'money' is coming from only a few stocks. Those stocks I only found out about on the forum, they weren't ones that I found myself. They were mostly small/mid caps, I think, that I hadn't heard of (AQR, GRR).

Given that there are so many companies listed on the ASX, how did they manage to pick out these ones? I can't imagine they look through all the stocks manually so I assume some of them use software to sort out the ones that have had increases in SP or volume.

Once the shares are on my radar, I think I can watch them and do my own analysis (or try to) and decide whether to get them, its just getting them on my radar that I seem to have trouble with.

If software is the way to go, can someone recommend one that is simple to use and inexpensive (hopefully free) for a newbie such as myself?

Default Re: How do they find 'em?

Some people sift through company news releases, some read newspapers, some read professional analyst reports/newsletters, some watch tv business channels, some use stock screeners and charting software.

These methods are free or paid and I have used all these. It is information, so each lead requires further scrutiny to determine if the stock of interest matches the traders goals. I use Amibroker for stock screening and chart examination but there are free stock screeners via Google search. At the top of this page is a search function. Type in keyword/s, tick "Search Titles Only" and the archives might help some more.

Never let anyone dictate your life path.