Quantcast
Reasons for reduction in share value? - Aussie Stock Forums

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1

    Default Reasons for reduction in share value?

    Hey

    I have bought some shares a week ago. Since than the share value continuously drop without any explanation or any announcements? what are the reasons for that?
    Also, does it mean there are more sellers than buyers of this share?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Commonsense isn't that common nomore4s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In a daze
    Posts
    2,893
    Blog Entries
    52

    Default Re: reasons for reduction if share value

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaka1988 View Post
    Hey

    I have bought some shares a week ago. Since than the share value continuously drop without any explanation or any announcements? what are the reasons for that?
    Also, does it mean there are more sellers than buyers of this share?

    thanks
    There could be a million reasons to this but the fact the market in general has stalled probably hasn't helped.

    It would generally mean that there are more sellers then buyers atm but due not knowing what stock you are talking about it is hard to give you any reasons.
    All things are difficult before they are easy.
    Keith's Art

  3. #3

    Default Re: Reasons for reduction in share value?

    It could just be bad luck and bad timing!

    This is what happens in the market. Shares go up and shares go down. You have a 50% chance of getting it right. You need patience and discipline to be a trader.

    Our market is also affected by the US market, which has been down the past few days.

    So long as you have a sound strategy (plan), a profit target and stop loss in place then there is nothing to worry about.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Reasons for reduction in share value?

    I have nexus shares. I bought them because they are about start to come up with some profit with their Longtom gas project. However, their shares drop steadily. I really dont understand that

  5. #5

    Default Re: Reasons for reduction in share value?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaka1988 View Post
    I have nexus shares. I bought them because they are about start to come up with some profit with their Longtom gas project. However, their shares drop steadily. I really dont understand that
    Hi there mate, Iv done some research on your shares, rest assured that you will probably make a profit on your investment, as the longtom pipe-laying/maintinance has finnished and the pumping will soon commence, you are going to start to see some value increase in your shares.

    the recent drop is mainly because of market instability and basically "mis conceptions" in the value of shares.

    if you do some research youll find that the ASX has dropped considerably in the past few days and this reflects the market in general, it can have an effect on all shares. Please sit tight and feel confidant that you have made a good choice in your investment, and remember that investments can go up and down, but I would advise that your investment is as sound as a sound investment can be in today's market.

    good luck mate, and be sure to keep up with current events in the industry.

  6. #6
    skc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The dark side
    Posts
    7,723
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Reasons for reduction in share value?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadweave View Post
    Hi there mate, Iv done some research on your shares, rest assured that you will probably make a profit on your investment, as the longtom pipe-laying/maintinance has finnished and the pumping will soon commence, you are going to start to see some value increase in your shares.

    the recent drop is mainly because of market instability and basically "mis conceptions" in the value of shares.

    if you do some research youll find that the ASX has dropped considerably in the past few days and this reflects the market in general, it can have an effect on all shares. Please sit tight and feel confidant that you have made a good choice in your investment, and remember that investments can go up and down, but I would advise that your investment is as sound as a sound investment can be in today's market.

    good luck mate, and be sure to keep up with current events in the industry.
    With languages like that you better list your ASIC adviser license number! OR get a job with Storm Financial...

  7. #7
    skc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The dark side
    Posts
    7,723
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Reasons for reduction in share value?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadweave View Post
    I understand that this language is a tad ambiguous. Obviously I feel strongly about the topic and wish to fortify my position but also mean to leave room to back out should something unforeseen arise. Having said that I really do feel that this investment is sound.

    edit: Just goes to show, you should really do your own research, and language can be misleading.
    It is not that your language is ambiguous. It is the fact that it sounds like advice and those are not allowed on this forum by law.

    You can post your view about a stock, you can't tell others what to do.

    Read the forum posting rules.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Reasons for reduction in share value?

    Quote Originally Posted by skc View Post
    It is not that your language is ambiguous. It is the fact that it sounds like advice and those are not allowed on this forum by law.

    You can post your view about a stock, you can't tell others what to do.

    Read the forum posting rules.
    Thankyou for your prompt pick up of my mistakes. I hope that my opinion will not be considered advice and merely the opinion of a fellow peer. In future I will be sure to adhere to the forum rules and keep my language in a purely amateur context.

    I apologize to anyone who may have taken action on my advice.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Reasons for reduction in share value?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaka1988 View Post
    Hey

    I have bought some shares a week ago.
    What was your reason for buying them?

    Since than the share value continuously drop without any explanation or any announcements?
    The SP was already flat following a significant downtrend for some time.

    what are the reasons for that?
    As has already been pointed out, there could be any number of reasons, the same number that indicates this SP has been going nowhere positive for some time.

    Don't think that just because you believe a company is just the greatest thing on the ASX that the SP will necessarily reflect your belief.

    I'd suggest buying "How to Profit in Bull and Bear Markets" by Stan Weinstein. This will offer you a basic understanding of how price action works.


    Also, does it mean there are more sellers than buyers of this share?
    Think about this: for someone to sell shares, someone has to buy them.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Reasons for reduction in share value?

    Quote Originally Posted by Julia View Post
    What was your reason for buying them?
    I bought the shares because my mate(noob in shares) advised me to do so. I researched for a bit and found that it has a nice potential of going up in value.

    Another question, lets say there is a share with no sellers at all, is it still possible to purchase the share?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Reasons for reduction in share value?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaka1988 View Post
    I bought the shares because my mate(noob in shares) advised me to do so. I researched for a bit and found that it has a nice potential of going up in value.

    Another question, lets say there is a share with no sellers at all, is it still possible to purchase the share?
    What do you think, Chaka? Is that possible?

  12. #12

    Default Re: Reasons for reduction in share value?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaka1988 View Post
    I bought the shares because my mate(noob in shares) advised me to do so. I researched for a bit and found that it has a nice potential of going up in value.

    Another question, lets say there is a share with no sellers at all, is it still possible to purchase the share?
    LOL there is a reason they called it share MARKET. It's where people can buy and SELL shares. So yeah, if there's no one selling, you can't buy. But from my observation, you can always find someone selling, finding someone buying is the problem.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Reasons for reduction in share value?

    I still dont get the point of restricting it so the buyers buy the shares from the sellers.
    And if a company needs more funding, where can they get it from?
    I thought they could do it buy selling more shares...

  14. #14

    Default Re: Reasons for reduction in share value?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaka1988 View Post
    I still dont get the point of restricting it so the buyers buy the shares from the sellers.
    And if a company needs more funding, where can they get it from?
    I thought they could do it buy selling more shares...
    Its called price discover.
    Those are secondary raisings. Eg rights issues, placements, spps.
    If companies keep issuing more shares it dilutes the existing holders.
    I believe effort to be a finite resource. Something to be used only when there are no other options available.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Reasons for reduction in share value?

    It may be a good idea to do a little more reading on the basics of how the share market works....the ASX is a start point for the basics...
    http://www.asx.com.au/resources/education/index.htm

    I actually hold a small parcel of NXS and will make no comment either way on the "worth" of this stock.... all I will say is you have chosen one heck of a stock to give lessons about "the market"....and.... commodities exposure, capital raisings, dilution, perceived value, project risk, project delays, JV partners.....sheesh...I could go on.....but won't
    Last edited by milothedog; 6th-October-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: missed comma...must be grammtically correct :D

  16. #16

    Default Re: Reasons for reduction in share value?

    Quote Originally Posted by milothedog View Post
    It may be a good idea to do a little more reading on the basics of how the share market works....the ASX is a start point for the basics...
    http://www.asx.com.au/resources/education/index.htm
    I've been thinking the same. Chaka, it would have been good to educate yourself before actually buying any shares.
    Never too late to start, though.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Reasons for reduction in share value?

    (Note: I've not checked the particular share, and certainly don't hold any. This is general advice only).

    In general, though, consider: you bought because the company is about to make more money, right? So, you were willing to buy, and you expect the price to go up.

    Well, so might lots of people have done, and they've probably been looking at this for months. That means the price might already reflect these expected profits. They've effectively become a bit of a non-issue, and might even be a liability if they're not as high as people were expecting.

    That's why a company who posts a big profit can actually see the share price go down: people were expecting more.

    So the price might be coming down because they went up too far, or because something has happened to make that expected profit less. Have there been commodity price changes that mean they'll have higer costs or will have to sell their product at a lower price? Do they have a lot of debt, and will rising interest rates impact their profits?

    Knowing that a company is going to make lots of money only really helps, from a short term share price point of view, if you know about it before many other people know about it. Otherwise everyone who knows will buy the shares and the price will go up.

    By best performer is in an area where I know a bit more than most traders or investors - that is, I knew a product would be more valuable than most people realised, that the company would make a lot more money than expected in the market. I buy the shares and wait for everyone else to find out what I know - and hence watch the price go up.

    ...but finally, you have to expect wobbles, and it really isn't too terrible if your shares drop a bit after you get them. Check the chart and see how, even in a steady trend up, there will be drops of 5-10%. A solid uptrend will simply keep recovering by more than that. That's why you shouldn't have a stop to close behind an initial buy price: even good trades can fall a bit at first.

    A solid, profitable company (if this is one) is probably a good long term investment, regardless of short term movement. If that's what you're after, and what you believe you've got, then more luck to you.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Reasons for reduction in share value?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmellyTerror View Post
    (Note: I've not checked the particular share, and certainly don't hold any. This is general advice only).

    In general, though, consider: you bought because the company is about to make more money, right? So, you were willing to buy, and you expect the price to go up.

    Well, so might lots of people have done, and they've probably been looking at this for months. That means the price might already reflect these expected profits. They've effectively become a bit of a non-issue, and might even be a liability if they're not as high as people were expecting.

    That's why a company who posts a big profit can actually see the share price go down: people were expecting more.

    So the price might be coming down because they went up too far, or because something has happened to make that expected profit less. Have there been commodity price changes that mean they'll have higer costs or will have to sell their product at a lower price? Do they have a lot of debt, and will rising interest rates impact their profits?

    Knowing that a company is going to make lots of money only really helps, from a short term share price point of view, if you know about it before many other people know about it. Otherwise everyone who knows will buy the shares and the price will go up.

    By best performer is in an area where I know a bit more than most traders or investors - that is, I knew a product would be more valuable than most people realised, that the company would make a lot more money than expected in the market. I buy the shares and wait for everyone else to find out what I know - and hence watch the price go up.

    ...but finally, you have to expect wobbles, and it really isn't too terrible if your shares drop a bit after you get them. Check the chart and see how, even in a steady trend up, there will be drops of 5-10%. A solid uptrend will simply keep recovering by more than that. That's why you shouldn't have a stop to close behind an initial buy price: even good trades can fall a bit at first.

    A solid, profitable company (if this is one) is probably a good long term investment, regardless of short term movement. If that's what you're after, and what you believe you've got, then more luck to you.
    Cheers for the comprehensive explanation. The only thing I can do is to wait and see what happens...



Similar Threads

  1. Reasons why stocks jump in value on no news?
    By Dilati in forum Beginner's Lounge
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 4th-October-2009, 11:53 PM
  2. Calculating $ value per share
    By Nero64 in forum Beginner's Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 4th-March-2009, 11:02 PM
  3. Please... Share some share chat
    By nioka in forum ASX Stock Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 17th-December-2008, 04:26 PM
  4. 20 reasons to be cheerful
    By sam76 in forum General Investment and Economics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2nd-December-2008, 03:08 PM
  5. Reasons we smile
    By 2020hindsight in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2nd-August-2008, 02:24 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Aussie Stock Forums