I have used VISTA since the RTM and think it is by far the best version of Windows since 2000, hell Windows 7 is just a tweaked Vista, so you had best stay away from that as well
1. It gets faster with time (XP slows down)
2. Offers a modicum of protections (though they let the UAE be turned off to supplicant fools)
3. Is stable on decent hardware (I can go for months and not need a reboot)
4. It makes uses of excess RAM by running ready boost. No point of having GB's of RAM sitting there doing nothing !
5. Quarantined driver model allows, for example, a dodgy video driver not to bring the entire system OS down (I have had my video card driver crash the OS and it shrugs it off and keep running)
I could go on for pages
but I doubt a list of why VISTA is better then any previous incarnation of Windows will placate your misplaced rant.
Sorry to hear of your problems, like any tool, a computer, if misused and not understood, can cause endless frustration but best to direct that frustration to where it's deserved if you want to move forward.