Time frame on charts - Aussie Stock Forums

Default Time frame on charts

What time frame do you guys use in your trading strategy?

I am trading the ASX200 CFDs at the moment, and prefer using the 2 mins and 5 min charts

Default Re: Time frame on charts

thats a good question, im also interested in hearing people's thoughts on this

i'll add to the question: If people do use a 2 min chart for example would they tend to confirm the trend by looking at say 15 minute chart then hourly as well?

would it be wise to look at say 2 other timeframes to confirm or just one other?

1min chart (cofirm with 5 , 15 min)

15 min chart (confirm with hourly/daily)

daily chart (confirm with weekly/monthly) etc

i found that i look at least one other chart chart to confirm my trend this tends to strengthen my trade because both are in sympath. If they arent then i am not inclined to take the trade (unless there is some other compelling reason to)

fyi, i use 15min chart and confirm with an hourly, but i am just starting out so i am still in experimental stage
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

I use daily and weekly charts

Can be found on the bid Trembling Hand's Avatar

That's a funny question. I am guessing that you are trying to get some sort of reassurance that a time frame will have some sort of reliable pattern? Or one time frame with a certain set of indicators will provide an edge?

If so, IMO, you are looking at it ar$e about. Find patterns that DO re-occur in the market you are trading. Understand the pattern probabilities and then if they offer a good R:R and occur often enough the question about what do people trade will be of no concern to you. Nor will confirmation in higher or lower time frames.
    Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? -Hunter S. Thompson

thanks guys

i am using the 5 min charts and have had some success today

im purely short on the market, had three (small) trades today all went well.

Agree 100% with TH.
    There would be very little point asking an investor what type of charts he uses if you are a day trader!

I trade medium to longer term so obviously 1min charts are of little use to me, but as you pointed out if you are day trading then 1 day charts are of little use to you!

It's like asking 10 of your best mates what is the perfect holiday destination, im sure many of them would have a different opinion! Do whatever works for you and makes you money

It depends on what underlying methodology is being used. From an elliott wave standpoint, all timeframes provide insight into the market - whether trading intraday or at larger time scales.

The same patterns appear in all time frames (if you look hard enough) and each is describing a likely action once they have completed.

I still want to know when to expect major turns or corrections, so the 60min, daily and weekly charts have value to me.