New definition for a recession? - Aussie Stock Forums

white swans need love too Timmy's Avatar
    Between the lines

Default New definition for a recession?

ANZ's Saul Eslake has presented the case for changing the definition of a recession, see this link (Need new recession definition: economist), and the same at this link (Recession needs a new definition, ANZ chief economist says)

"I think a far better definition of a recession, and one which is much more meaningful to people who are on the edge of it, looks at the unemployment rate, which says that if unemployment rises by one-and-a-half percentage points or more in 12 months or less, then that's a recession," he said.

I suppose one of my concerns with doing this is the, ahhhh, "flexibility" with which employment/unemployment levels seem to be measured, at least here in Aus., a fact commented upon by many here on the threads at ASF. Having said this, I don't know what sort of flexibility is applied to the GDP numbers, so maybe my concerns are misplaced (or perhaps not nearly suspicious enough...).
    The contents of this post were tested, ruthlessly, on small, cute, furry animals. Most of them were fatally harmed. Hence, if this post causes irritation, please discontinue reading immediately.

Default Re: New definition for a recession?

Whatever definition you use for recession, some people will argue with it.

I totally agree with Saul Eslake that unemployment figures are more meaningful to people during a recession, but GDP is probably more comprehensive as it would incorporate the effects of unemployment, trade etc.

Looking at all indicators would be the best definition but far too complicated.

Default Re: New definition for a recession?

Until we get commonsense into working out the details nothing will change ...most people would say working 30-40 HRs PW is employed not 2 hrs a week.