This really is forward planning, but my girlfriend and I have started talking about getting engaged soon, and we've booked in a pre-engagement course. I'm being presumptious here that we're going to get to the end of the 10 week course, and we'll still want to get married, but on the assumption that we do, we've also discussed about her designing her own ring.
So rather than propose with a ring, I wanted to propose with a gold coin, and some diamonds. (I'm thinking of sailing to an inaccessible beach, telling her some fake story of early convicts burying treasure here, then "finding" it using sleight of hand. She loves both sailing and the beach, so it seems like a perfect way to propose to me).
I have lots of questions:
1. Where in Sydney can I get gold coin?
2. I know it's illegal to destroy legal tender. Are gold coins considered tender? I've been told all purchases of gold are recorded. That sounds like they need to keep track of where it's going and if I have it smelted, it would destroy all accountability.
3. I'm assuming that a standard gold coin is 1 ounce. Does anyone know what an engagement ring usually weighs?
4. Anyone know where to get wholesale unmounted diamonds?
5. Is this just a stupid idea? Am I just a lovestruck attempting-to-be-romantic?