Which is it? - Aussie Stock Forums

Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Which is it?

  1. #1

    Talking Which is it?

    Just a quick query... In order to reduce Capital Gains Tax, do you hold onto shares in a company for more than a tax year (1st July to 30th June), or a year after the date you purchased the shares.

    Which one is it?

    Hope someone can help

  2. #2

    Default Re: Which is it?

    You must hold for at least a year.
    From my understanding.

  3. #3
    PlanYourTrade > TradeYourPlan RichKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004

    Default Re: Which is it?

    Hi Kris,
    Just from memory to get the 50% CGT discount you have to hold for 12 calendar months after the day you bought the stock, best to check http://www.ato.gov.au website for confirmation, they may have examples too. Please check with your accountant or contact the tax office as I'm not at all sure about this. Do a search on this site I think there was another thread or two on CGT.

    This is the ATO CGT link: http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...p=001&st=&cy=1

    My posts are not recommendations (even when I rave about something). Always rely on your own research & judgement.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Which is it?

    Thanks for your help, will do some research just to be sure,

    Thanks again,



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Aussie Stock Forums