Quantcast
Origin Rugby League and Melbourne Storm - Aussie Stock Forums

Default Origin Rugby League and Melbourne Storm

League is alive and well in Melbourne, thanks to the outstanding efforts of Melbourne Storm. We are again on top of the ladder and have a superb coach in Craig Bellamy who has recently renewed his contract with Storm.

Now I don't give a toss whether the Cane Toads beat the Rum Corps or not in the State of Origin series. My interest is in following Melbourne Storm in its continuing progress in the NRL competition. Origin hitherto has been little more than a diversion, and about as important to Melbourne supporters as the NSW City-Country clash.

This year it's different. Storm is providing NINE players of the two thirteen-man (plus interchanges) teams, plus the NSW coach for three games. And now I understand the selectors are sniffing around Storm halfback Cooper Cronk.

This robs Storm of its class players and sets us up for successive defeats in the NRL competition as our key players are either not available or recovering from Origin matches. No team in the League has the depth to cover this number of missing players.

The hydra-headed monster (a conglomerate of alphabet soup initials) that runs League in Australia needs to come to terms with this and provide a workable solution (fat chance!).

If I was into conspiracy theories, I'd reckon this was a deliberate ploy by the (NSW and Qld only) selectors to weaken Storm's chances to win a back to back premiership this year.

Default Re: Origin Rugby League and Melbourne Storm

"If I was into conspiracy theories, I'd reckon this was a deliberate ploy by the (NSW and Qld only) selectors to weaken Storm's chances to win a back to back premiership this year."

Are you saying you DON'T think the Storm players are good enough to play origin? Or that they are?

Quote Originally Posted by Pronto View Post
    League is alive and well in Melbourne, thanks to the outstanding efforts of Melbourne Storm. We are again on top of the ladder and have a superb coach in Craig Bellamy who has recently renewed his contract with Storm.

Now I don't give a toss whether the Cane Toads beat the Rum Corps or not in the State of Origin series. My interest is in following Melbourne Storm in its continuing progress in the NRL competition. Origin hitherto has been little more than a diversion, and about as important to Melbourne supporters as the NSW City-Country clash.

This year it's different. Storm is providing NINE players of the two thirteen-man (plus interchanges) teams, plus the NSW coach for three games. And now I understand the selectors are sniffing around Storm halfback Cooper Cronk.

This robs Storm of its class players and sets us up for successive defeats in the NRL competition as our key players are either not available or recovering from Origin matches. No team in the League has the depth to cover this number of missing players.

The hydra-headed monster (a conglomerate of alphabet soup initials) that runs League in Australia needs to come to terms with this and provide a workable solution (fat chance!).

If I was into conspiracy theories, I'd reckon this was a deliberate ploy by the (NSW and Qld only) selectors to weaken Storm's chances to win a back to back premiership this year.
    For years now, until this one, you could have said exactly the same thing about the broncos. Maybe it is because the storms have favourable treatment from the ARL that they are able to afford so many of the best players. Actually I think tha ARL would be happy for the storms to win back to back as publicity in the fight for fans with the AFL.

Quote Originally Posted by nioka View Post
    For years now, until this one, you could have said exactly the same thing about the broncos. Maybe it is because the storms have favourable treatment from the ARL that they are able to afford so many of the best players. Actually I think tha ARL would be happy for the storms to win back to back as publicity in the fight for fans with the AFL.

Tend to agree with you nioka, I would have thought the league would be pleased to see the Storm retain their title and further enhance the popularity of the game down south.

Melbourne Storm wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the Western Reds and Victoria STEALING them from us (just like they do with other sports - Grand Prix, Eastern Creek, tried to steal Rally Aust). But talk is they are looking at a team for WA again, then you'll all be in trouble. Just look at the Western Force in Super 14's, 09 will be their year.

As for conspiracy theory, no such thing the ARL have definitely played favourites with Melbourne Storm just the same as the AFL will with the new Gold Coast team.

Default Re:PARRA SUPPLIED THE NSW BACKLINE & WON THE COMP

Since origin began thats been the rules & if you look at the draw during soo the nrl do try to give the clubs involved a soft draw..

parra in the 80s had to go without ella,grothe,cronin.kenny, sterling,price,hunt,jurd....game 2..1983...nsw 10.qld.6

kenny 5/8 sterlo at half...6 games/5 wins

kenny/mortimer...5 games/3 wins(last 3)

kenny in the centres 1st 2 games in 84,with mortimer game 3 & 1st 2 games in 85 we won 2-1,game 3 lost with hasler at half..

i remember well it took the dopey nsw selectors til 86. to put the combo that had won 3 comps up til then(4 all up) together for a full series...result = 3-0 to nsw.plus they had jack,pearce,roach from the tigers...

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/soo/soo_idx.html
    only a legend has a street named after him!

Default Re:GAME 2 IS GOING TO BE MUCH HARDER TO WIN.

This game all my fellow new southerners is going to be a real war even without lockyer qld are going to be real tough up at home for 2 very big reasons...steve price & scotty prince...

price gives them the relentless go forward they missed in game 1 but the potential matchwinner for qld is prince,his kicking game for me will decide the game.if we can hold qld up the middle like game 1 then prince kicking game will not be as effective,on the other hand princes pin point kicking may have us working it out from our 25 all night.

going for nsw but wont be surprised if qld on the back of prince & price win a tight 1.look for bellamy to shutdown smith around the A markers.

coopers defence in game 1 was one of the keys,look for him to get more involved in attack this game..

nsw 19..qld 18,cooper 1st & last tryscorer..mom...peter wallace
    go the blues...

game 1...we win...18-10...qld...ko
    only a legend has a street named after him!

Interestingly the two State of Origin captains lead their teams into Sundays Grand Final. Really want the Storm to produce their all season best to bop the likes of wankers Ennis, Fifita and Gallen.
    "The common man is not concerned about the passage of time, the man of talent is driven by it."

Storm FTW
    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times ... just another day really.

Cronulla next door, but seriously, the 'the Shire' . Down here stealing our waves, like they're entitled.

Gehen, um den Sturm!
    Go Melbourne Storm!

The Contrarian Averager So_Cynical's Avatar

Been a Melb fan for a long time, hope the boys have a great game.
    Statistics: 172 Closed Trades since July 07, Trades: Winners 135 - Losers 37, Expectancy/$1 Risked: $0.78

Disappointed with the result but impressed with the Storms fortitude. Must be a relief for the Cronulla/Sutherland crew that have waited for a very very long time.

Best memory of the GF was that Queenslander spirit.
    "The common man is not concerned about the passage of time, the man of talent is driven by it."