Steidlmayer/Distribution Analysis - Aussie Stock Forums

Default Steidlmayer/Distribution Analysis

Anyone use this sort of TA in their work? I read a bit into it and was really attracted by the huge risk:reward trading set-ups but in real time it looks a waste of time - very subjective and to be honest, set-ups look like trading DTs/DBs.

Default Re: Steidlmayer/Distribution Analysis

Done quite a bit of study on Steidlmayer.
    Also known as "Market Profile"
    Its the study of Time Price and Volume.
    One of the few Technical analysis disciplines which I give much credence to as a stand alone tool.

Is plotted using 15 min charts where the price action for that time is plotted.
    A profile often becomes apparent.
    Up until recently had to be hand plotted and as such has little following here.

The Best book I have found on the topic is here at CBOT.
    Peter Steidlmayer worked at the Chicago Board of Trade.

Best software I know of.

No I don't have it.

I don't actively use the Time,Volume and Price plots but can recognise formations in price whilst looking at charts,to this extent I apply a couple of Principals in trading and analysis only really as I can see them forming and the information learned warns me of a likely event.

But hardly use of M/P.

white swans need love too Timmy's Avatar
    Between the lines

Default Re: Steidlmayer/Distribution Analysis

Hi Bin and Tech. Bin, I use MP at a very simple and basic level for what I trade - I mean really simple and basic. Each day before the start of regular trading I note yesterday's VAH, POC and VAL, and the price distance between VAH and POC, and between VAL and POC. I note these 3 levels as where the price is in relation to them is something that can impart some information to me on trend tendencies, and also because a lot of participants in my market are aware of and refer to these levels. I note the distance between these points as that information can also help me to have an awareness of trend tendencies. So, in effect, I use MP this way to give me background information, rather than to provide any entry/exit criteria. I think the way I use MP would be laughably simple to the real users of MP, but they have a tendency to be a non-dogmatic lot (at least the ones I am aware of are), which is always nice.

In my opinion (and FWIW) it is an alternative way of presenting data, and is a method of presenting the data that can highlight some aspects of price/volume behaviour and not highlight other aspects. For me I prefer the ideas behind Pt & Figure, and Candles/Bars and hence use these in preference.
    The contents of this post were tested, ruthlessly, on small, cute, furry animals. Most of them were fatally harmed. Hence, if this post causes irritation, please discontinue reading immediately.