Swimmer D'Arcy axed from Olympic team
Posted 2 hours 22 minutes ago
Updated 18 minutes ago
Queensland swimmer Nick D'Arcy has been axed from the Australian swimming team for the Beijing Olympics.
D'Arcy was charged with assault and assault occasioning grievous bodily harm after an alleged fight with former swimmer Simon Cowley after the Olympic trials in Sydney last month.
The president of the Australian Olympic Committee (AOC), John Coates, announced the decision in Sydney this morning.
He said the AOC made the decision to drop him from the team after ruling that his presence in Beijing would bring the team into disrepute and censure.
"I was required to consider Nicholas D'Arcy's conduct in a number of respects given widespread media coverage of incidents in which he was reportedly involved," Mr Coates told a press conference.
"It is clear that being charged with criminal offences of such a serious nature is sufficient to bring Nicholas and the sport of swimming into disrepute and is likely to bring the team and the AOC into disrepute if he continues to be a member of the team."
The 20-year-old D'Arcy, from Queensland's Sunshine Coast, had qualified to swim the 100 and 200 metres butterfly in the Olympics.
D'Arcy is expected to appear in a Sydney court on Monday.
"I express no view about the outcome of those proceedings except to note that Nicholas is entitled to the presumption of innocence and the charges must be proved beyond reasonable doubt," Mr Coates said.
Mr Coates says D'Arcy will have the right to appeal the decision in the Court of Arbitration for Sport.