SKC Blog

Dumped by the surf

Rate this Entry
Billabong International - BBG

The trade

Entry: Short $7.05 on 3pm, 11 Mar 09

Initial stop loss: $7.35

Hedge: Long ASX index CFD at 3243, ~2.6x BBG trade position size

Exit: Covered $7.41 on 10:10am, 13 Mar 09. Closed hedge at 3292 at the same time.

P/L: A loss of 36c per share on BBG (~5% move), partially offset by the hedge which made 49 points (0.5% move). As the hedge position was 2.6x the size of the BBG trade, I am -2% on this trade after commission.

The entry

See description here http://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/blog.php?b=540

The Exit

A strong night on the DOW coupled with better than expected retail data saw BBG spiked up in early trade. I moved my stop loss just gently to beyond the daily pivot point resistance level, but the stock had no problem pushing through that, and I was stopped out at $7.41. I closed my hedge at the same time.

The trade would be in a small profit had I closed both legs just 15 mins later (BBG @$7.39, CFD at 3316). Oh well, if only I had polished my crystal ball clearer.

Key lessons:
  • The hedge worked well and to expectation. It was wise to put in the hedge in light of a potential rally from the US.
  • I didn't know US retail data was due out last night. It is important to know when major economic data is coming out. Having said that, even if I did know I would have expected some really ugly data and still play the trade the same way.
  • I had no problem moving the stop loss just a tag, as the daily resistance level can often provide resistance to a better exit point. I need to be sure however, that I have enough discipline not to move it again and again...

Submit "Dumped by the surf" to Digg Submit "Dumped by the surf" to del.icio.us Submit "Dumped by the surf" to StumbleUpon Submit "Dumped by the surf" to Google

thanks for sharing skc,
    nice work in evaluating your trades, something ill definitely use from now on
    best of luck

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL:
Aussie Stock Forums