Quito - Blogs - Aussie Stock Forums

View RSS Feed

The Lyceum - searching for eudaimonia

Rate this Entry
Flew to Quito in Ecuador yesterday and will be here for 2 weeks. It's nice to get out of Lima as the weather there is crappo at the moment. It's the time of the year when a sea fog rolls in called the 'Garua', and covers the coast. It NEVER rains, but you are effectively walking through water. Living on the 16th floor of a apartment building makes it feel like living in the clouds. Sounds interesting, but it makes life pretty dull! And wet.

Love Quito. The city is set in a valley at the foot of an extinct volcano and surrounded by mountains up to 5000m. It's the second highest capital in SA after La Paz. Unfortunately, we're not in our regular hotel that has good wireless and I have to spend a couple of days working out of Cafe's.

While here I'm hoping to get to see something new. Haven't been to Cotopaxi yet, which is an active volcano in the south. May go for the weekend.

Here's a pic of Quito with Cotopaxi in the distant background.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Images  

Submit "Quito" to Digg Submit "Quito" to del.icio.us Submit "Quito" to StumbleUpon Submit "Quito" to Google

Yikes! That looks fantastic Kennas.

I'm heading to Mexico in December (not as far south as you!) but am hoping to get a feel for Central/South American Cultures. Have you ever been? Any recommendations?

Also thinking about a connecting flight to the Caribbean...worth it?
    Sensational! Would love to get there!
    Yes, pretty place.

JTC, I've travelled through most of Mexico and CA. Mexico is my favourite country in the world. Will send highlights when I have a bit more time.
    Thanks Kennas, would really appreciate it.

I'm a little bit daunted at the size of Mexico...but just the surrounds make it worthwhile for me to bite the bullet.
    You could do Mexico justice in a month I think. The route I'd take is: Mexico City, visit Teotihuacan, head south east to Oaxaca and see Monte Alban, then to San Cristobal de la Casas (best colonial town), then to Palenque and the jungle ruins (best ruins imo - stay in the jungle near the ruins - awesome) then to the Caribbean coast, starting at Tulum for a couple of days and visit the beach ruins, move up to Playa del Carman (a bit Americanised but a happenin beach town), if you are into diving dive the Cenotes (fresh water caves from Playa) and/or ferry over to Cozumel (amazing visibility 50m +), for something a little quieter you could go to Isla Mujeres (although starting to get developed), then head to Chichen Itza (most famous Mayan temple and one of the new 7 wonders) and then to Merida and fly out. You could skip Merida and fly out of Cancun. I think that's the highlights.

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL:
Aussie Stock Forums